Freezer meals

coruscating17

Reaction score
I'm going to be organised and make freezer meals over the next couple of months so we don't have to do so much cooking when baby is here. Is anyone else going to do this? If so I thought we could give each other some ideas for meals...
My mum suggested making a big batch of savoury mince that can then be made into lasagne, spag bol, chilli etc.
Slow cooker casseroles
Curries

Would love to hear other ideas :)

We are going to do this. We have a big freezer box that I am planning to fill with food in 2 person portion freezer storage boxes and write on them what food it is. Because my oh will only cook me hot dogs and macaroni and cheese otherwise...

I am after ideas too about what meals to freeze. My mom suggested beginning with the last 2-3 months to start cooking in Biggerr bunches and just every day freeze the extra portions.

Some of the things that I froze before with success were meatloaf (ready to bake) (lasagna ready to bake) kidney beans casserole (ready made) chilly( ready made) stuffed peppers (ready made), kebab ( ready made), Soups and casseroles.
Basically everything but potatoes and rice freeze ok ( i still freeze dishes that contain potatoes and rice but the consistency is slightly different when thawed )
I like your idea with bunches of browned minded meat. We can only hope that my oh will be able to cook some pastas or rice and tortillas to go with it lol...

Last edited:
Cottage pie and shepherds pie ready to cook freeze well too!! Im planning on doing this too plus having frozen potato bits ready so that is easy to prepare as well.

A flask is also handy so you can have ready made tea and coffee should you need in a hurry!!!

I have made a few batches of chicken curry and frozen them, so all I have to do is boil rice when I wana eat it :)

I will also make a huge batch of stew and some different soups to freeze.

X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Im think of doing this, just depends how much freezer space I will have.

-Curry
-Sheperds / Cottage Pie
-Spag Bol
-Lasagne
-Cannelloni
-Carbonara
-Stew
-Chilli con Carne
-Macaroni Cheese
-Veg / Meat Hotpot
-Pies
-Fish Pie
-Stuffed Chicken
-Fish and Sauce

I could go on lol....

I am lazy and i should do this but with living in hostel and sharing a freezer as it is i doubt i will lol instead just buy ready. Meals or just not eat i tend not to eat much after birth anyway x

27 weeks pregnant. Team yellow x

I can't not eat, I turn into such a bitch when am hungry lol!! x

This is a brilliant idea...will probably start in August though so that food is still sort of fresh. xx

this is a fab idea, i have kinda started to think about this xxx

I'm hoping to do this too but i'm not sure what to cook! I would normally make strews, but if the weather is hot when he arrives I probably won't fancy them and i'll end up ordering takeaways!

I guess anything pasta-based would be good, that way you can always add pre-packed salad on the side.

Have you tried McCain's frozen jacket potatoes? They're delicious and so fluffy, and they only take 5 mins in the microwave!

All good ideas girls! And I think a flask of tea will definitely be a good idea :-D I love cooking sotend to freeze meals anyway but just want to be organised before baby arrives and take the stress out of eating well x

Hehe the tea was my partners idea so if I fell asleep during the day I always had a hot drink when I woke up!!!! Ooh I've got them jacket potatoes I'll have to give them a go before baby comes! Also I would stock up on tinned stuff so if a supermarket visit isn't a possibility you've always got something to hand!!

We will be doing this, but it's quite normal for us to cook things in batches too. Hubby is also a pretty good cook, although he prefers my cooking :)

If you like spicy oriental food, this Vietnamese beef stew is to die for - eat with rice or boiled noodles. Bulk it up with some carrots or turnips: http://girlinterruptedeating.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/vietnamese-beef-stew-with-star-anise/

Because I'm Chinese, there will always be meat and veg dumplings, turnip cake and other yummy goodies in our freezer. Hubby is half Ukrainian, so there are loads of other wonderful and tasty things to make too.

Oh dear. I'm salivating.

We will be doing this, but it's quite normal for us to cook things in batches too. Hubby is also a pretty good cook, although he prefers my cooking :)

If you like spicy oriental food, this Vietnamese beef stew is to die for - eat with rice or boiled noodles. Bulk it up with some carrots or turnips: http://girlinterruptedeating.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/vietnamese-beef-stew-with-star-anise/

Because I'm Chinese, there will always be meat and veg dumplings, turnip cake and other yummy goodies in our freezer. Hubby is half Ukrainian, so there are loads of other wonderful and tasty things to make too.

Oh dear. I'm salivating.

Sounds yum!!! I'm defo trying that recipe out - I love love love dumplings of any kind, do you make the wrapper dough yourself - if so do you have any recipes you can share?

*dribble dribble drool drool*

Sounds yum!!! I'm defo trying that recipe out - I love love love dumplings of any kind, do you make the wrapper dough yourself - if so do you have any recipes you can share?

*dribble dribble drool drool*

Hehe. Sorry to make you drool too. I haven't got a finalised recipe for the dumplings because I keep experimenting with them and it's never quite as good as my Dad's. He's a chef... grrr. Yeah, I make the wrappers myself most of the time because they often give better results than the ones you get in the Chinese supermarket. The mix for the wrappers is very simple - just plain flour and water. No salt, no oil. Knead it until it's springy. I'll PM you if I can get a recipe together one day :)

In fact, we are having these dumplings tonight. Made by my dad. And a bit of turnip cake, which I've adapted from this recipe:
http://lizzieeatslondon.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/chinese-turnip-cake.html

Oh lord. I'm hungry. Going to put it on now :dance:

Sorry to hijack the original post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back