freecycle / freegle...

treeze

Reaction score
this is a bit of a random thread but I just wondered if you have all heard of freecyle?

i only found out about it a little while ago but it's basically a site where people list items they no longer need / use rather than chucking them out (local to where you live). People then apply for the item by sending an email saying that they would like it and why etc. No money can be offered or accepted - it's all about recycling unused items that someone else might be able to use and to reduce landfill etc. You can even get stuff to then "sell on" but you have to tell them this is your intent when you send the email.

I have only been checking it out every now and then but i had a look on there today and managed to get a mothercare swaddling blanket - virtually brand new - normally £24.99.. and got it absolutely free!

i just thought i'd mention it as there is so much baby stuff you can get which can be cleaned / disinfected etc so you might be able to get some of it free by using this site. So many people have baby stuff that is hardly used at all - baby baths, highchairs etc, and so many people just list it all for free on the website.

It's a bit of pot luck as to whether you "win" the item or not as it seems alot of people apply for the items but you just send a little email saying why you want it etc. I have listed quite a few things (my old cot mattress, and old tv, some spare bathroom tiles etc) and i was inundated with emails from people wanting all of them.

It's relatively simple to join (think you have to join yahoo first and then you local freecyle/freegle network) but it talks you through it all and if you have facebook you can use that as your login etc.

anyway just wanted to share that incase any of you have not heard of it! It's worth joining just to see some of the things people list on there to save a trip to the dump! - piles of dirt, broken hoovers etc - but you never know what you might see - i've sent a request for some deckchairs for the garden too!

At the end of the day - if you win an item and then it turns out to be no good or not up to your standard then you can relist it yourself! People are very keen and the bits i have got rid of on there the collecters have turned up within 24 hours to take it away! Great if you have stuff to get rid of and can't be bothered to go to the dump too - you'd be amazed what some people will take from you!!!!

Anyway - happy freecycling!!!

I LOVE Freecycle! I got 2 massive bin bags full of baby clothes the other week! So i took out what i liked and gave the rest to someone else on freecycle. I have had a few things off there, some nice people about! xxx

my friend uses it i get put off by that and gum tree as i dnt wanna be going to ppls doors :(

I sometimes use it. I've given quite a few things away but I've never gotten anything from there yet.

this swaddling blanket is the first thing i've recieved... but i've got rid of quite a few bits and some of them big bulky things aswell so it was great to have people come collect them!

I've had some real begging emails for some of the things i've listed too.. one request sent me 4 emails within an hour saying how he had lost his job, his brother had died, he had a house fire and something else... and this was all to get 4 square metres of bathroom tiles off me which he wanted to use to tile his shed floor!!! er no?!!! ended up giving them to a lovely lady who just bought a house to do a little utility room with!

And i agree shauna - send your other half to go get stuff -lol!! I have been looking out for a maple/beech bedside table for the nursery and found a set of 2 on ebay last night so i bid and got them both for £1.21 (for the pair)... i told hubby i can't possibly go and hand over £1.21 for them so he will have to go - lol! even then i will probably make him give them a fiver though or do you think i should stick to the £1.21?!!! lol!

ah glad other people know about freecycle.. x x x

this swaddling blanket is the first thing i've recieved... but i've got rid of quite a few bits and some of them big bulky things aswell so it was great to have people come collect them!

I've had some real begging emails for some of the things i've listed too.. one request sent me 4 emails within an hour saying how he had lost his job, his brother had died, he had a house fire and something else... and this was all to get 4 square metres of bathroom tiles off me which he wanted to use to tile his shed floor!!! er no?!!! ended up giving them to a lovely lady who just bought a house to do a little utility room with!

And i agree shauna - send your other half to go get stuff -lol!! I have been looking out for a maple/beech bedside table for the nursery and found a set of 2 on ebay last night so i bid and got them both for £1.21 (for the pair)... i told hubby i can't possibly go and hand over £1.21 for them so he will have to go - lol! even then i will probably make him give them a fiver though or do you think i should stick to the £1.21?!!! lol!

Oh god lol, you get alot of replies when you advertise things!
You won it at that price...i would be chuffed. Get him to hand the £1.22 over lol...i would. (well i would get OH to, he has the face for anything) Every little helps! :) xxx

You won it at that price...i would be chuffed. Get him to hand the £1.22 over lol...i would. (well i would get OH to, he has the face for anything) Every little helps! :) xxx

lol - just been to pick it up... hubby made me go too!! i tried to give them a fiver but he insisted we have it for £1.21 and so i said "no honestly take a bit more for it" so in the end he took £3.. what a bargain eh! I'm looking at a cot on ebay at the moment too for £4.99 (mamas and papas). We have got a cot already but it is pine and everything else in the nursery is white or maple.. so going to keep an eye on it... just picked up the swaddling blanket i got off freecycle too and it is really cute.. so tiny... made me think "omg - this is gonna have a baby in it soon!!!"

Last edited:

lol - just been to pick it up... hubby made me go too!! i tried to give them a fiver but he insisted we have it for £1.21 and so i said "no honestly take a bit more for it" so in the end he took £3.. what a bargain eh! I'm looking at a cot on ebay at the moment too for £4.99 (mamas and papas). We have got a cot already but it is pine and everything else in the nursery is white or maple.. so going to keep an eye on it... just picked up the swaddling blanket i got off freecycle too and it is really cute.. so tiny... made me think "omg - this is gonna have a baby in it soon!!!"

Omg did he lol! I hate being in situations like that haha. Still a bargain though eh...hope you get the cot for a bargain too. Feels good when you get things cheap :) i am always trying to get bargains on ebay but i always get beat or they start bidding too high...typical. Its scary aint it...i can't imagine having my baby here its so weird to think about it. When i go in her room, its just like its gonna be empty forever and for show lol xxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back