• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Freaking Out!!!

millylillyrose

Reaction score
Ok, so our big move to the US is saturday morning and im supposed to be packing up the house. Its not going well though, My husband has to work till the friday and then be in at work monday in the US to make the transfere go smooth, so all the packing and moving is left to me, and Its just getting so close now.

Plus for some reason my mind has picked now to freak out about hospital situations in the US, i've never delt with MWs much in the UK but atleast i kinda know how things work, what if they do things so differently there and im not comfortable with it. And how the crap do i go about finding a doctor...they dont have MWs.
I read that the c-section rate in the whole of Europe is 10%, but the rate in the US is a whopping 60% *gasp* I dont want a c-section.

:(

Awww hun! I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible for you and you settle in ok! It's bound to be scary, you're not only moving house but to a whole new country! From what I have heard their medical services are fantastic! I didn't know they had such a high c section rate though. I'm pretty sure if you put your foot down enough you won't have to go through a c section so try not to worry about that until the time comes. I'm pretty sure your dh will be able to find out about doctor's etc through his work when you arrive!

Aw, sorry you're feeling stressed :hug: I'm only moving down the road and it's stressing me out! But it'll be sooo worth it once you get settled in.

Re: medical services in the US, I've heard they're excellent too and once you get there you'll have plenty of time to find the right people to talk to. Hope all goes well xx

My friends mum gave birth to her brother in the US and said the main thing was that they were big on giving epidurals etc quite early on... she refused as she didn't want one yet and although they looked at her like she had two heads they complied and he was born using gas and air only...

I think the c-section rate is so high because all in all they are a medication nation.... (and scared of litigation!!)

Just stick to your guns and I'm sure it'll be fine!

J
XX

Awww try not to fret.

Re the US medical situation. I am figuring you will have medical insurance so will be covered for all eventualities.

It is a very different set up to the UK but still workable. You will probably need to find an OB/GYN http://www.womenshealthchannel.com/obgyn.shtml

I'd think you could find a clinic in your neighbourhood or one attached to a hospital. However, its also worth contacting your medical insurance company before you attempt to register with one to ensure your coverage and the filing process etc. Can your husbands company not assit you with this info and so on?

Most US states don't do homebirth at all. In many its illegal. And MW's don't exist as they do here. Its all hospital managed. But stick to what you hope for labour wise and don't feel pressured into anything you are not happy with for the sake of the Doctors having an easier time. If you and baby are well, then try to relax and don't feel you have to have medical intervention etc.

And yes, its a litigation society. Hence the medicalised approach. But you don't have to have it that way :)

Good luck :)

a guy at work's wife gave birth in America, he said it was like giving birth in a 5 star hotel. They had a suite of rooms for them and he was wlecome to stay as much as he wanted 9over night etc).

but he said it varies with the medical plan so check first what you can get.

Sandi

American here. :D The medical situation there can be confusing because every place is different, but you can choose where you want to go, which is great! My friend just had a baby with a midwife. They aren't as common but they do exist. They are more "alternative" for the homeopathic types, but becoming more common. It's much more common to have doctors still though. Since you are paying them, whether through insurance or not they MUST follow your wishes. If you don't want an epidural or c-section, they can't make you. Talk to doctors before you choose, if you have the time. Choose the one who suits you best.

A lot of the hospitals are beautiful and very homely. Most people I know had private rooms with a bed for their partner in their. The food was good and they had good hands on treatment. Apart from one friend who had complications, they all had drug-free births and were very supported with that. Which state are you moving to? I might be able to help more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back