found new way of preparing food :)

ive brought one of avent milk formula container, i fill the 3 compartments up with the formula. just put water in the bottles, then when feeding time comes pour formula into bottle, shake, and were ready.. alana likes milk at room temp, so now storing bottles in fridge and no re heating and no standing there trying to count how many scoops uve put into each bottle, lol i always seem to loose count lol

sounds like a good idea... but i was wonderin how you dry the container after sterilising without de-sterilising it??? also if Alana likes it at room temperature is that water hot enough to dissolve the powder properly?

Lyn_no3 said:
sounds like a good idea... but i was wonderin how you dry the container after sterilising without de-sterilising it??? also if Alana likes it at room temperature is that water hot enough to dissolve the powder properly?

i was told never to add the powder to hot water and to wait for it to cool right down??? otherwise you kill all the nutrients etc? so ive always waited until it is at room temp before adding the powder.

well as the sma container i get the formula isnt sterile i dont sterilise the formula pot.. bottles need to be sterlised because of the germs that can grow in bottle when milk is heated. well thats what i understand i from what midwife told me.

also on my sma it says to wait for wayer to cool before adding formula.

i know it says to wait for it to cool but i thought it says that it has to be warm to ensure the milk is correctly dissolved... and i was told that you have to sterilise everything that the baby uses for feeding etc which i have always assumed meant everything... until they are 6 months not just because of the germs in milk but from germs in general.... you might be right tho... and if thats true sounds like it would make life much easier how much are these things that hold the milk for you? and is there a limit on how many scoops of powder it will hold?

i dont know about you, but while in hospital every dr, miwife and porter seem to come and look at baby. and first thing they do is stick their finger in my babies mouth???? they didnt have sterile fingers and im guessing if we need to sterlise all feeding things we shud sterlise our hands and:

the knife we use for levelling off scoop
the scoop it self
digital themoter
dummy every 1 hour

just think if we were this clean the baby wud not develop a strong immune system.

so i will just stick to sterlising the bottles and dummy on a daily basis.

who knows. they change the their minds so often. how were taught to look after baby todday will be wrong tommorrow.

as to the pot.... i put enough forumula in to make 3 x 4oz bottles up, and it only 1/2 fills each compartment. so i would say it holds enough to make 3 x 9oz bottles.

also they cost £4.99 in toysrus (availble on website) and i brought one but im going to get another now, they are brill, plus the inner tub comes out and turns into big bowl so you can put food in it when ur feeding baby solids, so i think its worth the money.

also im always losing count of scoops ive put in. im worried when i have to count more then 6 in each bottle. this way if i loose count i just tip formula back in and start again, but once its in water, u wud have the tip it down the sink and it wud be a waste. (im dyslexic so i seem to loose count on daily basis lol so this will save me money)

here is a pic, coz pics on net dont seem to be very helpful

belly114.jpg

well my little alana the banana is very well on this method, and is growing fine.

birth weight 8lb 8, a month on she weighs 10lb 6.

and i find formula dissolves just fine. just give it a good shake for a minute

Ava takes her bottles at room temp. as well which makes it so much easier, especially with the night feeds! I've been meaning to get one of those containers, they sound nifty. The formula dissolves just fine for us as well! :)

I agree with your views on building an immune system paradysso....I've calmed down with the sterlising. Most of the time I just use hot soapy water. Every once in awhile, I'll throw everything in with cold sterilizing tablets.

Well thats brilliant then, i've obviously been making my life far to difficult. My mum has always said i molecodle (spelling?) the boys too much. But they have never been ill all 3 really healthy even now, but i guess that must be more luck from what your sayin.
in our hosp the docs use a alcohol based hand wash which does sterilise their hands, and they do this before and after seeing every baby. and my milk powder doesnt need a knife it has a scoop leveller built into the inside of the carton. But your method does sound like an easier way of doin it, and i have been distracted when countin and had to waste a few bottles, so i'll definately look into gettin one, they sound very useful :)

I agree with Paradysso you can get too anal about the steralising and they change the rules every five minutes. And no one steralises the Infacol dropper do they and that goes in their mouth. It's the bottles and teats that are the mean thing as they are a breading ground for the mixed milk. The tins are dry and don't contain moisture so there should be problem with germs there.

When Dominic is older I will be letting him play in the garden and get muddy etc as that is great for their immune system. You can't be perfect with cleaning etc you will wear yourself out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back