Formulas which taste like breastmilk

LouisecH

Reaction score
Hi

I've just calculated that I have to go back to work in a few week. I'm so disappointed because I desperately wanted to stay at home with Zara. :cry: The only consolation is that dh should be able to arrange his shifts at work to stay home with her.

The problem I have is that she's still 100% breastfed. I've tried expressing milk but I can't seem to get much out. I know I'm using the pump properly but I must tense up or something and stop the milk coming out.

I've tried formula (sma white) but she absolutely hates it and pulls faces. I think it's because breastmilk is sweet and this stuff is minging.

Does anyone know of ny formulas that are closer in taste to breastmilk??

And don't even start me off on the problems I'm having trying to get her to drink from a bottle. 1000 different teats later .... :wall: :wall: :wall:

is there a reason you tried sma white shouldnt it be gold? the sma white is a hungry baby milk and you normally only use it if your baby eats loads?

Hi Michelle

Good question. Probably because I'm clueless.

I was worried about SMA gold because it said for newborns and I chose white because Zara feeds every 1.5 - 2 hours so I thought maybe she was hungry and would starve when I was at work.

Do you think I should try SMA gold?

I have only used SMA or aptimal and neither of them taste like breastmilk. I don't think you'll find one that tastes like it. Zara could be feeding more frequently because breastmilk is easier to digest??

Ive started Ruby on one feed a day on SMA Gold, she hated it at first and like your Zara, had to go through loads of teats to find the one that she'd feed from.
Ive found that MAM teats are what she prefers, something to do with the fact they are similar to boobs. How, I dont know but Ruby likes them so I stuck with them.
Good Luck finding the right teat, I know what your going through, drives you crazy!!!

Roo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi hun, I think it is trial and error, we had a battle too!!
I found that Charlie would take orthadontic teats and also the tommy tippee 'nuby' teats, as for the milk, she refused them all and was very sick with them to the extent we thought she had a lactose intollerence. She had some soya milk, but we slowly re-introduced formula and she has been fine on it, we use SMA gold and she likes it. Infact with EBM she only drank about 60mls, now she'll drink 140 mls of formula.
Im back to work on monday, im gutted, but im happy knowing she is ok with bottles and formula. Good luck, hope you find something that works for you both xxx
P,S have you ever tasted formula???? URGGGGHHHH it is rank, ick yak!!

Hi Louise

We're also part of the club who must have cupboards full of bottles and teats! I've tried so many with Olivia (the most recent one being the Boobie bottle that cost £20 which she rejected more than the others :roll: ). Last night and tonight she's taken an ounce of milk from a bottle whilst she was half asleep, she cries and gags if I try her when she's awake but hopefully she'll be getting used to it and then gradually accept it when she's awake!

It might be worth you buying some of the ready made forumulas in the wee cartons so you can try the different milks and see if Zara takes some better than others?

Like Rooander's Rubie, Olivia seems to take the MAM teat the best and then the Tommee Tippee Nuby one (although i have a no 1 teat but still find that the milk comes out quite fast from it)

I am going to keep trying Olivia with a bottle every night to get her used to it and hopefully she'll catch on and start accepting it

Good luck!

Lucy

I heard that it's best to let someone else feed your baby from a bottle if you're bf until they are used to bottle as otherwise they will refuse it cos they can smell your milk, gotta be worth a try :) good luck.

Brody has a bit of Aptimil in the evening, I don't think it tastes more like breastmilk but it is definitly supposed to be more like breastmilk as far as the nutrients etc in it go.

He hated the bottle at first too, I just perservered and use a tomme tippe teat with nodules on it thats supposed to be a bit like a nipple. He'll still faff about for a couple of minutes before he starts drinking it though.

Good luck!

Ruby is very fussy about who feeds her. With me BF all day and then in the morning I take off about 4oz and daddy gives it to her around 8pm. If I go near daddy & her while shes feeding she stops and looks at me as if to say "well if your here why am I having this?". Funny little thing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back