Forgetting to breathe??

deedee84

Reaction score
Dont know if anyone elses baby does this and i'm not overly sure whether its normal or not (although the midwife didnt seem too bothered last time she was out to see us) but when Elexis takes a feed, especially when shes half asleep its as if she forgets to breathe, she will make a funny screaching noise then gasp for air before breathing normally again, usually this happens at the beginning of the feed and then shes ok afterwards...i know what i'm looking for now and take the teat out of her mouth before she holds her breathe for too long so its not as bad, but last night she did it while feeding then after her feed while winding her and then just holding her she did it another 3 times :shock: its so scary and i dont know why she does it...anyone have any advice or ideas on this?

thanks

xx

no her colour is completely normal when it happens, the blueness is the first thing i look out for xx

Of she Dosent turn blue and still feels alert I wouldn't worry.
Of her color starts changing or seems to not be alert while it's happening then I would go to the doctors just to make sure it's not sth wrong with her lungs or a fit ifykwim.
Considering that she is so little maybe she still had mucus that makes her struggle?

My little one did this too and I was told it was normal and she's more or less grown out of doing it now never really got and explanation from Dr or midwife as to what it was but they said it was normal x

shes usually half asleep when it happens but it does wake her up so i guess thats a good thing! Could be to do with the mucus as i think she still has some, she was quite sicky yesterday and does tend to gip quite often.
Thanks for the advice Hope :) kids...they make ou worry so much about everything lol!

xx

My lo has reflux don't know if it has anything to do with that x

My little one did this too and I was told it was normal and she's more or less grown out of doing it now never really got and explanation from Dr or midwife as to what it was but they said it was normal x

Oh thats made me feel 100% better hun thanks, i was beginning to think there was something really wrong with her last night when it happened more than once, i even thought about just holding her all night so i could keep an eye on her, but then the tired eyes took over and i dont think even a match stick could of held them open :lol:

xx

Oh I get it, of it's half asleep while it happens then it's most probably a short apnea.
Some young Los and premature babies do that.
It's very positive that she wakes up web it's happening.
If it starts happening when she is fully awake then there are questions there that maybe need answering.
Get an breathing monitor maybe?
There are some fabulous that you can clip on the nappy so she can have it not only when she is in bed.
Fx that he will stop doing it very soon :love:

Thanks for that Hope...yeah she never does it when shes fully awake/alert, always when shes either just woke up and dozing back off or is half asleep, the monitor could be a good idea, would deffo put my mind at ease when shes sleeping at night, just so glad she never does it while shes asleep ifykwim its just a feeding thing usually xx

Yep, that's normal, don't worry :) xx

My baby did it too deedee, it's most disconcerting but I'm quite sure it's nothing to worry about and quite common

Albert did it as well and cos he had a heart murmur when he was shiny new it frightened the life out of me. The breathing monitors don't alarm til baby has stopped breathing for 20 seconds and the paediatrician said to us that as long as his colour is ok they class it as cyclical breathing. He said babies will hold their breath and then make up for it. It's really scary but perfectly normal. If she seems to take a long time to get going again very gently blow on her face this shocks them out of it xxxxxxx

Riven does this too, not so much anymore thankfully, scares the crap outta me when he does...

X x x

AJ has done it since birth he'll do during a feed, when asleep and when having a paddy. lol

Oooh i love you guys :love: you have made me feel so much better knowing its completely normal even though it is still pretty scary :lol: so thank you all...if it werent for this forum i think i would be completely bonkers :rofl: DD never had anything like this so its a new experience, i just hope she grows out of it quick sharp...i dont think my nerves can take much more haha!

xx

My lo did this a lot when newborn especially at night. It was awful and scared the poo out of us. But then it just stopped. It will stop eventually don't worry xxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahh thanks for that Olive :) hope its sooner rather than later...i hate it! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back