for those planning to BF

My MIL bought me some bottles and a steriliser "just in case" and they were godsent when my milk came in and Mills didn't manage to latch onto my engorged breasts (or the "close finish in a zeppelin race", as the bloke called it). I've expressed and fed EBM about 2 to 3 times and Mills was happily back on the boob straight away. Before I decided to express we had a horrible night with both of us ending up too upset and fretting to feed.

i was so determined to breastfeed i did not buy one single bottle, no formula, no sterilizer, nothing. i purposely made it impossible for myself to give up!

i knew it was gonna be difficult, but even i was suprised at just HOW hard it is those first few days. if i'd had the bottles in, i wouldve given up on day 2 or 3 probably.

i only carried on because i'd forced myself to persevere- if i didnt my baby would starve! LOL i am hard on myself sometimes! but i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad i did. breastfeeding is one of the most amazing, rewarding, intimate and beautiful things its possible to do. i did it for 8 months and its one of the best decisions i ever made.

'tis up to u tho, i think i'm in the minority probably, most folk do get bottles in for back-up. i warn u tho, its so easy to give in when the option is there. if u live in the city, its safe to do what i did coa theres always a 24 hour shop not too far away u can go buy formula from. but if ur out in the sticks maybe get some in just in case ur one of the 2% who dont make any milk and ur in real trouble!

good luck!

I intended to breastfeed and we have some bottles which came with our pump, and we got some formula, just in case. I must admit I have been much more tempted to give in because of this.. so I would advise against getting any but, on the other hand, we are still breastfeeding so the temptation is there, but it is also nice to have a safety net... Just with Kai being an Xmas baby the shops aren't always open so it seemed kind of necessary to have it.

so I don't know really, hmm :think: useless advice there I'm afraid :lol:

ultimately though, next time if everything goes well with Kai and the breastfeeding we won't have any formula in the house :D

I'm planning to breast feed but have bought a sterlizer - I would like to be able to express some so my OH can feed baby. I don't know how long I'm going to be off work so also thinking ahead! There are 2 bottles in the pack but I am not buying formula - if it all went wrong there are plenty of 24hr shops around.

jellyk said:
I'm planning to breast feed but have bought a sterlizer - I would like to be able to express some so my OH can feed baby. I don't know how long I'm going to be off work so also thinking ahead! There are 2 bottles in the pack but I am not buying formula - if it all went wrong there are plenty of 24hr shops around.

Just be aware about it being recommended to breast feed exclusively the first 6 weeks to help establish your supply to meet babys demands. Also helps prevent nipple confusion and preferring to feed from a bottle (get the wrong teat that flows to easily and your baby may well end up preferring that over the boob for the reason that they don't have to put any effort in to feed). Expressing or bottles too soon before breastfeeding is fully established can often mean the beginning of the end for breast feeding.

The first 6 weeks my OH was involved in lots of other ways and as Galen was more or less attached to my boob it was fine. Plenty of things partners can do to help while you rest and breastfeed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back