Folic acid dose high bmi

Claire1016

Reaction score
I have a bmi of 38 and am 9 weeks. To date I've been taking pregnacare, at 5 weeks my GP wasn't bothered about me taking higher dose folio acid because of my weight. At the weekend however I met my midwife and she said I should take high dose folio acid. Should I now come off pregnacare and take the 5mg FA? And do I need a prescription for the higher dose? Thanks.

I have been looking online and apparently 5mg does require a prescription. I have a high BMI and have been taking Seven Seas Trying for a Baby and have been for a good 18 months but I am still TTC so will ask my doctor when I next go

It seems such a jump from the standard amount to the 5mg. Looked online and it's about 10 times the standard amount, seems a lot?!

If you lack the ability to utilise folic acid the excess builds up in your bloodstream and is harmful.
Maybe you could look into taking a supplement of Folate instead? Folate is the naturally occuring nutrient, Folic Acid is the synthetic version which can actually do more harm than good (it has been linked to tongue tie in infants and cancer in adults)

I have a bmi of 40 (maybe a little under now as I lost a lot of weight due to morning sickness) and I take the seven seas 2 (all stages) my consultant & midwife seem happy with that xx

The max daily dose of folic acid is 10mg. I take pregnacare plus 5mg of folic acid so thats only 5.4mg my GP/midwife are very happy so dont panic. Even eating things high in folic acid ontop still wont put you near max dose.

My BMI is 30.8 and I have been given a prescription for a higher dose of folic acid and vitamin D. My midwife advised me to stop taking pregnacare and take what she prescribed instead. x

I had high bmi and was given normal folic acid but I ate lots of foods naturally rich in it too because the tablets make me sick so I was worried I wasn't getting enough in xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back