Flying with LO at 5 months on my own

*glow*

Reaction score
Hi All

I have an opportunity of a very cheap hol to Canary Islands when he Fyn is 5 months. Can you all give me any advise on the following:

1. Nightflights vs day flights - any preference as I have option to fly early morning - ie 7 am or another company lands at 1 am.
2. Will it be a total mission to fly alone and would I be better off flying to London first and then flying with my family (at the moment I think this is prolonging the agony as its 4 hours to canaries and 1 hour to London from here meaning a longer amount of time in the air for him - not to mention checking in and out)
3. How much stuff will I have? I think I can get a cot out there ...
4. Any other info and stories about your trips abroad with your LOs

All help greatly appreciated! The hol would be great to see family but understandably I am nervous it may be too soon and as I dither and hesitate the flights have doubled in price! :shock:

Thanks xxx

i dont know hun. id think going alone would cause some complication for if you need to go to the toilet or something?

I would suggest a morning flight as we had a night flight to Cypus and it knackered me. You will probably be ok going on your own so long as you don't need the loo on the plane and you can manage everything on your own. You will probably beable to hire a travel cot at the resort but you will need to take his buggy. Fyn will not get a baggage allowance so you will probably get 20kg which will have to include his stuff aswell. The buggy doesn't have to be included in the baggage allowance usually. If you go it might be worth getting a little clip on fan and a shade a babe for his buggy. You could also get a UV sun suit and hat that Fyn can wear in the swimming pool. I would just take one pack of nappies and swimming nappies and then buy the rest out there. You can get bags for sterilising bottles in the microwave(if your apartment has one).

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

Oh my god I know how you feel.... I am having to fly to Houston myself with Arianna in Oct/Nov time to meet my husband there. I am bricking it!!

I'm sure it'll be fine, although I did worry about the going to the loo situation :think: surely an air hostess would watch them while you went

I've flown lots with Thea over the last nine months mostly on my own. Its not hard honestly. The first time Thea flew she was barely 8 weeks old! Since then she has been on 12 flights! (Budapest to Newcastle is two separate flights Budapest to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Newcastle). Most of the flights I've done alone with Thea and im sure you'll find the same as me, people are very very helpful when you fly alone with a baby.

I've done morning and evening flights and found that Thea is better on a morning flight. She sleeps for at least half of each flight. Flight attendants will be happy to help you out if you need the loo etc. It also depend who you fly with as to whether LO gets a baggage allowance. Thea didn't on Jet2 but she does on BA and KLM. I dont normally take a buggy with me, i just use a carrier but i did take the quinny zapp last time, i just checked it at the airplane door and had it brought back to me as we left the plane.

Be aware of the security issues around bags etc. You can only take one bag so you will need to have LO's and your things in one hand luggage bag. You will be asked to taste any baby food or bottles.

Honestly you can do it, book your holiday and go enjoy yourself!!!

As ever guys, fantastic advice!

I think this time I will fly to London, get my confidence up! I will still have to fly alone to London, but at least that way I will have company - 4 hours is quite a long time for a first timer..

Fantastic advice on what to take and also on the whole security thing. I never thought of any of that!

Cheers girls
xxx

I'm flying to London from Seattle with our 3 month old but I will have my husband with me! I'm settingmy expectations low and hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised! We're flying with BA so he gets some allowance too!

I'm going to make sure I carry on more nappies and changes of clothes than I expect to use, he never throws up but I guarentee it will happen this time!

There's some great advice here and it's really helpful to me too as I am going to book a holiday for October and George will only be 3 months at that time. I'll have my OH with me to help but I do worry about the luggage allowance and especially 1) the sterilising bottles situation and 2) the sleeping/cot options. I'm thinking of buying a pop up cot like this one:-
http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core
although we will be staying with friends at their hotel so I will ask them what other cots they have too.

*Glow* I was wondering whether a sling/baby carrier might help in your situation e.g. when you need the loo or both hands at check in etc...? At least that way you wouldn't be reliant on someone watching your LO.

:hug:

Hey Sabrina - thats a brilliant idea - I have had one for a while and still not got it out the packet .. :oops:

We went to Mothercare today to look at the travel steriliser options. Ended up buying this:-

It was the same price as 7 disposable steriliser bags (to be used with cold water and tablets) so seemed quite a good deal.

I know what you mean about the baby carrier *Glow*. Ours is also still in the box. It seems far too big for George at the moment. :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back