• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

first time mum to be in need of help/advice

shesmurf

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to all of this. First post, first pregnancy, life has changed fairly dramatically over the past year but then my mum always did say I never do anything by half, full throttle or nothing!
Well I have a few Q's I thought the seasoned experts may be able to help with even if just so I can feel more relaxed!

Firstly I'm 15weeks tomorrow, 24 years old and out of my depth! I've had horredous morning sickness from the second week which has started to ease off but doesn't seem to be going away as most people suggest, anyone else in that position?

Secondly, despite being so sick I had put on about 20lbs by my first scan which terrifies me. I'm now wearing size 18 trousers as I can't find maternity trous that feel comfy and I'm worried about being so big so quickly, don't want to put the baby at risk. My BMI came up 36 which isn't great but I'm only 5ft 4".

Another thing is everything I've read seems to suggest I should feel great and full of energy by now but I still feel pretty knackered although not as bad as I was initially. Anyone else in the same boat?

Lastly, I've had a horrible feeling for several weeks now as though someone is sitting on my sternum. I thought this would be more likely the further on I get but my bump seems to be growing top down and bottom up. Is that normal to feel so much pressure there?

Baby looks all fine and healthy, so far so good. :) I also wonder if I've been feeling bub moving already though it's early. Had lots of strange kind of gurgly feelings and some twinges in my abdomen. I don't want to get too excited incase it's ust trapped wind or something equally charming.

Being perfectly honest I haven't found pregnancy to be that fab so far, hoping it gets better or perhaps since I've felt so rotten I'll be rewarded with the worlds most wonderful baby :D my fiancee has been an absolute star and can't wait to be a dad, assuming my moaning hasn't driven him to distraction by then!

Hi,
Firstly, congrats to you! Your first pregnancy is really scary, I am much more relaxed this time with my second! What you have said sounds completely normal to me. I felt pretty awful with my first pregnancy, bad sickness, day and night up to about 16 weeks. When that finally went, I had the most awful headaches/migraines and was really tired all the time! Feel much better this time, but just exhausted all the time. What you said about a heavy feeling, I had that too. Try not to worry and hope you feel well soon.
Take care
X

Thanks, that's very welcome news! None of my friends have had babies yet and it's been a long while since my mum was last pregnant so she doesn't remember much.
My better half has the idea of three kids and it's far more appealing knowing it usually gets better! I'm sure when he/she arrives I'll want more and wonder what the fuss was about :)

Firstly hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Im afraid I cant help you with the morning sickness issue, as never suffered from it myself, but I have several friends that were sick for many weeks of their pregnancies and I believe it does go away eventually.

Its normal, to put on around 5lb to 10lbs "generally" in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy - but some women put on more weight and others dont put on any weight. Have you discussed this with your MW? If you have been so sick and I presume not eating much it would seem quite a lot, and best discussed with your MW.

I went through the tiredness stage in my first tri and then felt much better, although Im knackered again now during the afternoons, and usually in bed by 10pm, and dont wake up until 8am.......so getting 10 hours sleep a night! I dont think the current muggy weather is helping though, my DH has just gone to bed for a nap!

With regards to your bump, your baby will still be very low down near your pubic bone......and its all your internal organs that are currently causing your bump (lovely :D )! So all your colon, and other internal organs that are normally located low down are all being pushed up towards your chest and into a much smaller space, which may well cause some pressure in your chest and many women suffer from breathlessness too.

I have days when I feel like a beached whale, and other days when I feel wonderful - but think thats the joy of being pregnant - every day is different!!

I first felt baby moving about 2 weeks ago, but only when I really concentrated, and would suspect it might be a little early to feel anything yet - the experts say between 18 - 24 weeks if its a first baby!

Sounds like you are having a very healthy pregnancy, and hope the sickness stops for you soon :hug:

Hiya and congrats :)

Re your morning sickness. If its still bad then go see your GP as s/he may be able to prescribe you something for it.

BMI - If your BMI was 31 or below at booking in I'd not worry overly. They tend to like to keep an eye on you if your BMI was this or higher at booking (usually done around 8 weeks). FWI some women gain more than others. It might be baby, maube fluid or just your body laying down fat and supplies for when baby arrives. Discuss with your MW if you have concerns or want to see a dietician to follow an eating plan. Also if you are overwight you run an increased risk of gestational diabetes so its worth having your urine checked regularly and maybe talking to your MW about other tests to make sure you've not developed it (usually done a bit later on in pregnancy). I'm sure she can explain and will keep an eye on things.

Energy - it does tend to come back in a few weeks. TBH I never considered it 'blooming' just more that I didn't feel like total crap and I just got back to myself and normality a bit more in 2nd tri.

Bubbles etc could well be baby moving. Will still be really low down near your pelvic bone atm :)

Good luck :)

Thanks ladies:)
MW didn't seem worried about my weight though I do have an app with the consultant in January just as precaution. I'm hoping once sickness has calmed down I'll be able to keep the weight gain under control with exercise as to date I've pretty much worked, come home sat on the couch or with my head in the toilet and slept with very little in between!She said my body was storing everything I'd been managing to keep down as fat for bub. The second MW told me she put on 5 stone with both of her kids so that suddenly didn't seem so bad!

Hi hun :wave:
Firstly a big congratulations to you.
Some people get morning sickness for the whole pregnancy and it goes from morning to night (sorry)
If your midwife has chec01ked you and thinks all is well then try not to worry as we all get unexplained symtoms sometimes but they usually turn out to be nothing.
I have to confess my first pregnancy is a bit of a blur now as was 20yrs ago :oops: but i do remember being sick for more than the first 12 weeks.

congrats on your pregnancy!
sorry cannot offer much advice but welcome to the forum!! :D :wave:

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Also congratulations! :cheer:

I can sympathise with the morning sickness, its awful, I had it everyday all day until week 11 and although it went, it seems to have come back for the past couple of days! :evil:

Can't really offer any advice on the weight thing, but everyone is different and I'm sure if the M/W or doctor were concerned they would have said :hug:

No I didn't feel great at your stage either. I expected to as loads of people say you start to bloom in 2nd tri and have the "pregnancy glow". Towards the end of 2nd tri is when I started to get loads of energy and some colour in my cheeks.

Glad your baby is doing well and hope that has been some help :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thnaks for that, think I'll be fine as long as I don't have too many expectations about hving boundless energy and flawless skin (been convered in spots for weeks that have only just started to go).

Am I the only person who has an issue with the term morning sickness though? It's all dy every day and even sometimes during the night so where 'morning' sickness came from I don't know. However, have not been physically sick (wretching only) for 2days :dance: long may it last!

hi, i was a fellow 36 bmi'er (or 35, i can't remember now).

Due to this fact i had to have a GTT at 28 weeks. and again, ive been booked in for a gtt this time around as well (11th Dec!).

This time around, my bmi has dropped to 31 (i lost weight in the last year due to not being very well most of the time). its all in my bum and legs :roll: . The problem i have is finding clothes that fit me around my backside, but don't hang around my gut. Ive invested in a couple of pairs of underbump trousers this time to see if i find them more comfy than the over bump ones i had with alice (which kept falling down).

But saying that, ive dropped down to a low 16 again at the moment. Ive been suffering really bad with sickness (which has come back with advengence the last two days!!). Ive ended up being put on meds to try and control it. Its got better on them. I was unable to keep food down and now i can. Im not sure if that is the meds or the fact i am that ittle bit further along.

Ive lost count of the amount of fart babies i have had over the last weeks! every twinge ive had ive had to stop and just stay still to see if its baby! :rotfl:

shesmurf said:
Another thing is everything I've read seems to suggest I should feel great and full of energy by now

May I just say, dont believe this, its total bollox :roll: :D

:) Hello and congratulations!

:D I think I was still feeling rubbish till about 16weeks, then the morning sickness eased but even now I have to make sure I eat almost immediately when I get up and when I feel hungry because if I don't I get sick but its pretty obvious just to eat when your hungry and it solves it.

As for "blooming" haha its not happened I'm just same old me just I have a big tummy now hehe I also gained spots too! Ermmmmm weight wise I wouldn't worry I think everyone really is very different when it comes to how much they gain or even loose during pregnancy so just let your body do its own thing. If your midwifes aren't worrying then you should be fine. :hug:

Thanks Girls, nice to know I'm not the only one!
Doc did offer me anti sickness tabs at my booking app but I declined, would only take them as very last resort.

Our pregnanacy was a happy accident rather than planned or I would have made the effort lose weight beforehand but I've always had a big bum and hips (which may become useful now). My bmi was within a reasonable range before but hopefully I'll get it under control soon!

Definately getting bubbles low in my belly that I've never had before so maybe it is bub moving! :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back