Help needed with breast feeding please

X5OT

Reaction score
Well, I always said I would try breast feeding, and also said that I would not feel guilty about failing. BUT, I thought that if I was going to fail it would be down to bleeding cracked nipples. I never thought I would fail due to not producing enough milk

The story so far ...

I must first explain 2 things - at no time during my pregnancy have my breasts ever felt tender / sore / got larger. No changes whatsoever. Secondly, I have polycystic ovaries and Jenna was conceived while I was on clomid. Apparently there is a link between PCO and lack of breast milk production, which no one had told me until I went to the breast feeding clinic on 29th Nov.

Jenna was born 26th Nov, weighing 7lbs 10.5oz, by c-section (not planned). She latched on straight away and showed no signs of struggling to breast feed. I thought 'great! at least one of us knows what to do!'. Left hospital on the 28th - nipples were sore, cracked and starting to bleed and Jenna was feeding very regularly. The midwives on the ward all said she was latching on fine, but I knew something was wrong as it was so painful. Went to the local breast feeding clinic the next day (29th) and they showed me how to ensure she was latched on correctly. I explained that she seemed to be feeding all the time, but not staying on longer than 10 mins. I also mentioned I had trouble conceiving due to my PCO. They decided to weigh Jenna, and dicovered that she had already lost 11% of her birth weight after only 4 days. This gave cause for concern, and they contacted the hospital paediatrician. They advised that if Jenna had lost more weight or stayed the same weight in another 24 hours she would need to be re-admitted to hospital for monitoring and feeding. The paediatrician told us we had to give her 40ml formula top up after each feed (so 6-7 times a day), in addition to the breast feeding. So, we did this, and she was re-weighed the next day, and had gained weight - so hospital re-admission was avoided.

Jenna is still on formula top-ups, although now at 100ml most feeds. I am still breast feeding her as much as I can during the day, then topping up (we are now up to 100ml formula each feed), expressing in between, then mainly expressing at night (as the breast & bottle feeds take about an hour each time). She usually feeds every 3-4 hours. I wake her for a feed during the day if needed, and during the night she seems to go anything between 2 hours and 5 hours before waking herself up hungry.

So, I am after some help on ways I can increase my milk supply. I would love to be able to 100% breast feed, but I don't think this is very realistic Someone has suggested domperidone (motilium) to me as perhaps helping to increase milk supply.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated ...

:cry:

I would definately contact your GP and ask them for domperidone as I don't think the usual fenugreek/mothers milk tea is going to help in this situation. I would also do it as soon as possible to get your milk supply to start producing enough to meet your LOs need so you can drop the top ups, as this can have a negative effect on milk production and also the way they feed (it's easier to get the milk from a teat than a breast which can cause latching problems).

Good luck hon :)

Wow your story is the image of mine and islas. I gave up in the end on the hv say so as she said that at 14% weight loss over 6 days she was loosing too much weight to continue, I wish i had continued. It is such early days still for you, i really regretted giving up and whilst i am in no way an expert (far from it) i understood that giving top ups makes your milk levels drop. Could i suggest that you maybe keep going with the top ups so you know little one is gaining weight but that you express at feed times so your body thinks you are still feeding full time.

Paradysso on the forum here told me her milk didnt really kick in for a few weeks and after that it flowed easily and life was easier. I would ask a hv for some help. It would be lovely if you could keep going. :hug:

Hi X50T,

Many hugs to you and congratulations the birth of your baby girl.

I've come up with a few things that might help you.

Firstly, I thought that you could maybe phone the NCT Breastfeeding helpline or La Leche League for support, advice and help? Here are the numbers:-

NCT Breastfeeding helpline 0870 444 8708
La Leche League 0845 120 2918.

I also found this information and this informationfrom Kelly Mom (excellent resource for breastfeeding) website, which I think might help you.

I would also suggest bedding in with your baby - both stripping off, going to bed for 24 hours doing skin2skin and sleeping/chilling together - this is supposed to do wonders for your milk supply.

You could also try Fenugreek, which is also supposed to be fantastic at increasing your milk supply.

I also wanted to encourage you to go back to your local docs or HV for support and medication if necessary. You have done such a great job breastfeeding for so long, it'd be such a shame to give up as as soon as this problem goes away, it'll be plain sailing!

I'm going to move this to Feeding and Nutrition where hopefully more people will reply too.

Good luck sweets amd keep posting for support and to let us know how you and Jenna are getting on.

Valentine Xxx

Don't quote me, but I think as a biologist that if you have PCO you produce too much oestrogen.

Oestrogen can dry up breastmilk supply, that's why they don't reccomend anyone goes on the combined pill when they are breastfeeding. They say you should be on the progesterone only pill.

Have a chat with your GP. It might be if you go on the progesterone only pill, it will reduce your oestrogen production and your milk supply may increase.

These are just my opinions based on my training, but have a chat with a doctor about it.

K.xxx

Hi X5!

Well done for going on with breastfeeding. Your story is exactly the same as mine, apart of polycystic ovaries. Apart from everything what was said here already, try this http://www.medela.co.uk/UK/en/breastfee ... ursing.php instead of bottles. All the explanation is written on the web site.

If you are using bottles, try using those http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core
Babies are very cheeky, and they might soon realise, that getting it from the bottle is easier then from the breast. (That what happened to me, took ages to relactate)

And, whatever you do, remember, that even 2oz of milk, still gives babies all the benifits. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you so much for all the replies :D Since coming out of hospital I have been in contact (on a private basis) with a lactation consultant who has been great help, however I am keen to hear of experiences of those in a similar position to me. I am currently on no medication at all (apart from continuing with my sanatogen pro-natal multi vits & folic acid, but am going to get some domperidone tomorrow.

Carina: We are currently using the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles, and Jenna is still just as keen to latch on to me as she is to take the bottle. She's been doing both for almost 3 weeks now with no sign of any problems yet thank goodness. I had a look at the Medela feeding supplementer when I went to the first breast feeding clinic (Jenna was 4 days old). At the time, I felt I had enough different things to get used to (breast feeding / expressing / formula / new baby) so I didn't purchase one. However, now some things are easier (quicker at nappy changing and washing!), it might be time to start using it.

KJ: I'm not on any pill at the moment, but will have a chat with the GP & lactation consultant to see if it is worth going on to a prog only pill to help increase milk supply. Thanks :)

Valentine, kellysomer & kina: thanks so much for your suggestions and support :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back