• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First pregnancy grant???

1986princess

Reaction score
Hi girls just got a few questions.with this being my first pregnancy do I get a grant? I heard it was £500 per Child so will I get £500 for each twin? And how do I get it and where do I apply? I'm so confused and need help! X

You can go to the job cenetre and pick up a 'Sure Start Maternity Grant' or they will tell you to ring up for one, you cant get it till your 29 weeks. Your midwife will confim on the back of the form your expecting twins and you'll get £1000 instead of £500 xxxx only if your on some kind of benifit xx

Last edited:
Do u not get it if u r working? I'm self employed and will be getting maternity allowance to get me through being off? Would I still qualify? So confused x

i waited till ds was here and i got tax credits which then entitled me to the grant otherwise i wouldn't have got it x

id say apply anyway and if you dont qualify the apply again once theyre born as then you will be eligible for some benefits that may allow you to qualify then. they can only say no so you have nothing to lose

Didn't realise u didn't get it unless u were on benefits, citizens advice didn't tell me that! We were thinking of me finishing work around 30 weeks and that would give me maternity allowance and my oh was thinking of dropping a day or two at work to spend time with twins, and will leave us eligible for tax credits I think! So if we did do that before they were born maybe we would get the grant before! Sorry for long winded
Response! X

I dont think they run it anymore the magazine at the hospital said it was stopped in April last year so i have missed out on it x

I thougt they did first pregnancy only still but not after that x

Maybe so it just said it had stopped so assumed altogether- probably still can't get anything because we work (even tho mine is part time) it used to be for everyone no matter if they where on benifits or not but if you where low income you got a booster, But it looks like they have stopped it all together unless your claiming benifits which sucks because we are low income having our first child but i dont think we are eligable to claim any help.

as far as i knew the grant had been finished a few months ago as my sister wanted it but was told they have got rid of it now. its mainly child tax credits and working tax credits and well as your usual income support that you can try to get.
im unlikely to get much as i am employed, yet my company dont offer anything, so gonna be a huge struggle- annoying coz if i had sat doing nothing on benefits i would have had so much more, UK sucks lol

nah the sure start maternity grant is still there but the child trust fund one got stopped. you can apply up until the child is 10 weeks old i think and if your entitled to benefits after its born i.e child benefit and tax credits then you can get it then if not before

Lol its still going :roll: its the £190 thats stopped not the £500 and people who work have never got the £500, I know because I've appiled and my friend got it last week so its still there

as far as i knew the grant had been finished a few months ago as my sister wanted it but was told they have got rid of it now. its mainly child tax credits and working tax credits and well as your usual income support that you can try to get.
im unlikely to get much as i am employed, yet my company dont offer anything, so gonna be a huge struggle- annoying coz if i had sat doing nothing on benefits i would have had so much more, UK sucks lol

I hardly think everyone on benifits 'sit doing nothing' I sure as fuck dont, the £500 is still there and I've worked for along time in my life and onoly claiming what I'm 'entitlied' to :roll:

Last edited:

I may be on some benefits, also on mat leave from work, but I certainly don't sit doing nothing! I'm not trying to be horrible but that comment was slightly offensive!
XxX

I read that everyone used to get the pregnancy grant of £500 but if you where low income you got a 'booster' of say £190 or something ... im not 100% what the amounts where lol... i wish i had paid more attention but because it was telling us what had stopped i didn't really look much.
We should get income support or family's tax creadits but only once the baby is born does this mean i can apply once the baby is here and we are claiming?
Btw i wasn't having a go at anyone who is on benefit's just that we struggle a lot and i just wish they would work out if your eligible on income whether its through the government or through working, it shouldn't matter how you get the money just on the amount you get. In my opinion lol x

Maybe so it just said it had stopped so assumed altogether- probably still can't get anything because we work (even tho mine is part time) it used to be for everyone no matter if they where on benifits or not but if you where low income you got a booster, But it looks like they have stopped it all together unless your claiming benifits which sucks because we are low income having our first child but i dont think we are eligable to claim any help.

I think your thinking of the hip grant. Everyone got that, that was £190 but stopped this year. The £500 is only for the 1st child now and for low income families x x

Am I reading right??? So if your a first time mum, you get help. But if you already have kids, you get no help?? My boys are 12 & 13, so I have got to start all over again as if I am a first time mum :( that sucks if you cant get any help! Think the NHS need to update the pregnancy books as it said I would get £190, I mean I know its not much but I thought that was the cot sorted :(

Im also very confused. From what my OH and I earn we should be entitled, to certain childcare benefits but my OH earns overtime, which going by last year would take us over this.
Do they judge just your basic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back