First few days?

Ask your HV to look at his tongue as well hun. It could be that. I admit for the first good few weeks latching on hurts. I had to count to ten then try and relax lol. Keep giving it a go if you feel upto it. First 6 weeks are bloody hard but I promise it gets soooo much easier. Glad your home xxx

Yey - enjoy it when you get home. Chill out and relax with your new baby. xxx

I found the first few seconds were toe curling painful but sit comfortable ad relax and it won't hurt after the first few seconds!

I found expressing a lil milk at the end of feed on to nipple and rubbing it in helped xxx

He just had 45ml of expressed and are being allowed home!

Looks I'm going to be an expressing mummy now x

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thats great u are getring home!

Even tho u are expressing....keep trying him on the breast. I spent the first 10 days expressing and giving formula as she had jaundice which was making her too sleepy to suck. then on day 10 it all suddenly clicked and I have been breastfeeding for 6months now!

Congratulations and enjoy these first special times xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I am trying him at the breast before every feed, he seems to be gaining interest but we can't quite get positioning right! I am going to see the breastfeeding consultant today & hopefully she can help. I also find that I can express a lot more milk if I keep him skin to skin when expressing, so we are still getting some bonding which is nice.

Oh my god!

Breastfeeding consultant came round today & suggested nipple shields. Went & got some medela ones & he has latched & fed perfectly 1st time twice in a row for 10 minutes!

Im soo glad I stuck at it for the 4 horrendous days!

I'm not going to get too excited as I know it could change but this seems really positive :)

That's great. All your hard work will pay off. xxx

Brilliant! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

He has now had 5 breastfeeds in a row with the shields!

I'm so happy :) x

That's amazing well done hun!!!!!!! Xxx

What a difference a day makes!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373489376693.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373489376693.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 20
Well, we are still going with the breastfeeding ladies, but for the last 5 days its changed a lot.

Harrison was weighed on Friday & he hadnt put on any weight. I was gutted as I really thought we were doing well!

The midwife told me that the reason he hadn't put any on (or lost any I might add) is because he was running out of steam after the foremilk & not getting to the hindmilk on feeds. I was under the impression that if he pulled himself away then he was done but this obviously wasn't the case.

So since Friday we are on a new routine that is as follows...

Wake up from nap, change nappy, try onbreast without shields (almost always unsuccessfully), feed from breast with shields til he pulls away (usually between 10-20minutes), give him to dad for winding whilst I express for 10-15 minutes, wake him again & give him expressed milk (usually around 50ml), then I wind him whilst dad washes all our equipment & puts it in the sterilizer. We have to do this every 2 hours!!

I'm so ridiculously tired but its work as he had put on 6oz by Tuesday.

I am starting to think that it would just be sooo much easier if he were on formula, but I have literally battled with him the lady 12 days to breastfeed & it seems such a Shame to give up now.

The main problem is I don't know how I'm going to manage this routine when my OH goes back to work on Monday :(

First of all your doing great.

Second-your MW needs shot!!! If he hasn't lost any weight there is no need to panic!!! Weights should actually be looked at across a 4 week period, as they can have little dips. (Red book actually says this)

Yes it's good to try putting back on again as he may not be quite full. Can you try expressing a wee bit before he goes on, that way you are taking off some of the foremilk so he gets the fatty stuff. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Also if the shields are working then don't stress about trying to do it without them.

I used them with my DD for the first 4months, before she finally figured out how to latch without.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Thankyou!

In going to keep it up for a few more days so I know hes got nice & fat, he's too little to take risks. But then I am going to start just putting him on the breast during the night. I don't mind during the day, but the expressing & bottle feeding & washing just takes so long at night, I am barely sleeping

As for the shields, I know, I am just trying him on boob because I'm stubborn & want him to latch himself so badly! I've stopped stressing now when he doesn't, and I always have the shield next to me to put straight on so he doesn't get too stressed, but I have this thought that one day he will just figure out what to do lol x

Your doing so well.....it's fantastic that he is getting all your mummy milk. Ditto not to worry about the weight, I'm sure he will catch up.

Does he feed for longer at night? Often when they are sleepy they might feed for longer therefore more likely to get the hindmilk? And then you won't have to express?

Don't stress too much about the foremilk hindmilk thing.....babies are clever and they know what they won't and he will work it out eventually.

It's so much easier once you get over these battles, easier than formula once you have it sorted! Good luck xxx

Ah hun your doing fab. Hun how about switching boobs after he's finished or just feed more often. Expressing is such hard work I mist admit I couldn't do it xxx when my lo dropped a centile I fed her more often and I'm convinced it increased my supply enough to encourage her to feed more. Or maybe you could change bubs nappy when finished and offer the same boob again instead of expressing. You're doing amazing and it gets easier and stick with shields if that's working. Pop to the support group if you can xxx

Well he's just been weighed and he's put on another 8oz since Tuesday! So proud of myself! He's now 6lb 10oz, which is a whole 1lb above his birth weight, which for 13 days is excellent.

She said I could start missing some expresses or express & put it in the fridge. Which would be nice especially at night time.

He has been brilliant on the boob today;

02.58am - 04.06am - 36 minutes on boob, 20ml of expressed
07.01am - 07.58am - 20 minutes on boob, 40ml of expressed
10.28am - 11.20am - 22 minutes on boob, 28ml of expressed
13.27pm - 14.15pm - 27 minutes on boob, 38ml of expressed

- all using nipple shields -

For us this is really good, usually I'm taking him off after 15minutes so maybe he's getting the hang of it!

So proud of us right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back