First Baby Nerves!!

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
This will be my first baby, and I am starting to freak out a little about it!!! I don't have that much experience with babies, I have a neice and 2 nephews, and apart from the odd bit of babysitting and changing one or two nappies, don't really have much of a clue what to do!!!! I live about 2 hour drive away from all my family, so won't have anyone on hand to help!! eeekkkk!! Is it natural to feel this way?? I keep thinking things like 'what if I do something wrong' or 'what oif I cant do it' or what if it doesnt come naturally to me' :shock:
xxx

I have this too!
I freak out thinking what if I don't change them often enough or what will I do if they become ill? OH keeps telling me we'll be fine, but I'm petrified!! I can't look after myself when I'm ill, what will I do if me and LO are poorly? Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! x

All your baby needs is the basics, which you will pick up pretty quickly & lots of love and cuddles. This is what i keep getting told..

Baby I think it is probably natural to have some nerves, but it's a horrible feeling!!! I try and calm myself down by thinking, well, everyone has been a first time Mum at some stage...and coped!! So if they can do it, so can I!! xx

I have 7 god children with who i had alot of experience with as i spent most of my time with them from babies... yet i'm still petrified i wont be able to do it with my own baby!

I can definitely feel your pain!!! I had some experience when I was younger with cousins and babysitting and such - but not for a while. I know in my head I can do it, and be a good mum - it really doesn't stop me thinking "oh crap I can't do this!!!".

Just trust your instincts and if you get anything wrong baby will tell you. It's a learning curve for each baby a mother has I think because they can be so different, what comforts one will not work for another. Like Em said, you can do the basics which is the main thing. Feeding, cleaning and lots of love :)

Having said that Babyem just made me realise I can't cope when I'm ill so god knows how I'll manage if both LO and I are unwell....I think it's in us just to cope....I hope!!

xxx

Last edited:
Yip! Iv had moments like this too... Iv only had basic contact with babies, it's going to be a big shock to the system...
Iv often asked my boyfriend what will we do with it when we get home, it's a scary thought! But I'm hoping it all comes naturally :) xx

definately natural, i feel the same really. I don't have much mummy experience but your instincts will be fine I am sure of it :)

I feel like this too!! The main thing that I worry about is baby being too hot or cold!! Worrying about everything else too mind you, but that really sticks out for me!!

I have hand reared puppies and kittens and an unknown lil creature- turned out to be a newborn baby fox! With no problems and yet I have nearly been reduced to tears and left feeling completely overwhelmed just trying to buy nappies!!

I am sure it will all be fine though. If everyone else can do it, then so can I!!

XX

I think it's a case of fear of the unknown....and fear of getting it all so badly wrong!! I have even been wondering how I will react when I first see my baby after she's been born, and will I just instinctively know what to do!!! Does anyone know if the midwives etc give you much help and show you what to do in the hospital? Or are you just expected to just know what you are doing! xx

I had never babysat or changed a nappy before i had my son and was really scared. I havent had help from anyone and am proud of how well i have done so far. It doesnt take long to get used to it, i didnt think i was a maternal person but it has come naturally.dont worry about it too much im sure you will be fine, good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back