first appointment with midwife

Fiona

Reaction score
Well, letter has arrived to say that my midwife is coming round to my house on monday to see me.... quite surprised as I thought I would have to go to her.

Can't wait, it has taken 2 weeks for the appointment to come through. Originally the doc said I should have a scan at 8 weeks because of my age (40) and being a first time mum... not sure whether or not that will happen or if I will have to wait....

any tips girls for what to expect on Monday and what I should be asking ?

Hiya,
Thats good your midwife is coming round to you. I dont know that you would get any more scans because of your age. The docs can be a bit patronising when it comes to older mums, not that 40 is old, my mum was 40 when she had my last sister.

What she was offered though was an amnio because of age. Your midwife will probably take your blood pressure, take some blood and offer you a blood test to see if you are high risk for spina bifida and downs. She will ask the date of your last period and about your general health.

You can certainly ask about the early scan, every health authority is different and maybe you will get one, its always nice to get a scan.

Hi Fiona,
I think it is really nice that she is coming to see you.
My midwife,as you know is going to send me for an early scan because I am so worried but she is going to say that I am unsure of my dates. Perhaps yours could do the same.
My friend who was, as the hospital classed her, an older mum didn't have any extra scans but she was more closely monitored by having extra visits to the midwives
Hope you are feeling ok-there is no point in me saying try not too worry because if you are anything like me you can't help it.
Paula.x

Where I used to live the midwives always came to see me, it was great.........but it looks like I have to do the running about this time :wink: I only ever went to the hospital for scans and a check up once a month and then regularly from 30 weeks, otherwise the midwives did everything!

The midwife will probably ask you a few questions, fill out the paper work and give you your ante natal record. She will do your blood pressure, tell you about the scans and what they are for, tell you about blood tests, a healthy diet, foods to avoid, find out about family history and your general health, and let you know how your structure of care works in your area!

Good Luck with it hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back