Finger food

Tasha20

Reaction score
What age can Oli start feeding herself? i mean things like toast, apple pieces etc?

And what things do you reccomend I start with?

She on pureed stuff and has been for a few months now and shes nearly 6 months, lol just dont know what to do :lol:

I think she should be alrite now to have finger food :)

I give Keeley toast soilders, Carrot sticks, cucumber,rice cakes, mini rusks,apple, pear, banana,strawberries.

Hope that helps :hug:

Hi Tash

Gabs has pretty much what Keeley has. I also give her peas to help her develop her pincer grip.

Dried fruit; like apricots, pitta bread.

I can;t believe Olivia is nearly 6 months :shock:

Good Luck :hug:

Keeley has pea's sometimes but she just spits them out lol :lol:

I forgot about pitta bread. :)

Also you could try... cooked broccoli & cauliflower.
cubes of cheese, and pasta :D

lol I was worried she would choke or something, dont know why just thought that it wasnt until about 8 months or something lol :lol:

Well she turns 6 months on the 18th of this month so a week or so away, shall I wait till then?

Thank you both for you great advise :hug: I cant wait for her to start experimenting with food herself as she does try and take the spoon and do it herself, but it goes in her eye if i let her do it :rotfl:

Hi I can't really help as I am having the same problem with deciding when to start with finger foods. Jake is older than Olivia by about 4 weeks I think but I didn't start weaning him until he was 5 1/2 months old. So far he eats pretty much anything but I have only given him soft foods. I have bought some baby safe feeders so that I can put the food in them to begin with so he gets used to chewing. I know what to do if he chokes but the thought still scares me.

Tasha20 said:
she does try and take the spoon and do it herself, but it goes in her eye if i let her do it :rotfl:

alice does the same thing :lol:

so far alice has had, toast, melon, cucumber, pinapple, rusks, apple, necturine (sp), pear, potato & cauliflower cakes, carrott sticks, banana... i think thats it :D but we are going down the baby led weening route.

My hv said the best way to think of it is to avoid foods to avoid when pg. & added salt & sugar. oh, and uncooked honey :think:

http://www.netmums.com/h/n/FOOD/weaning/ALL/422//
not sure if this helps, but again, my hv recomended it.

I have recently started giving Kate finger foods, she is 7 months next week. So far we have had eggy bread, fish fingers and toast soldiers. She is partial to a rice cake too. TBH most of the food ends up on the floor/all over her clothes etc but at least she has a bit of fun! I find she does gag a bit sometimes but I just give her a drink of juice to wash it down if that happens.

Thank you all for your advise I really apprectiate it :)

I think im going to get a safe feeder and see how she gets on with that to start with, because shes had puree stuff first I think she may gag :lol:

Thank you all again :hug:

It is frightening the thought of them choking.

Gabs did and I really really panicked but sometimes now she takes too much down and gags but she has learnt how to get her food back up (if that makes sense). It's all a learning curve for them and an extremley scary one for Mum.

Good Luck and baby safe feeder is probably a good idea to start with but maybe let her have rice cakes or something that melts in her mouth to start with to get her used to it.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back