Feeling awful

JoS

Reaction score
I had a lovely day out today, went to the farm with all my family. Before we left it was rainy and cloudy but as we walked around the sun came out for a while. My LO was asleep most of the time and he was carried in my sling.
When I got home I noticed he had a red mark on his cheek, I thought he had scratched it which he often does. But after a while I realised it was actually sunburn :( .
I feel like the worst mummy in the world, I can't stop crying when I look at him as his cheek is now bright red. I can't believe I let this happen and feel so irresponsible.
It hasn't bothered him at all, he has still be laughing and smiling away and he hasn't got a temperature but I still feel awful.
I don't really know why I'm writing this, my husband just keeps saying he is ok but I just feel terrible.
I don't want sympathy as I know if I read this I would probabley think how stupid I am, but I just need to write it down :(

Are you sure it's sunburn if it's just 1 cheek? Make sure he gets lots of fluid he'll be absolutely fine hun they heal really quickly at this age he might not even know he's got it.

I'm pretty sure it is sunburn as the cheek that is red was facing upwards and he hasn't had a fever or been poorly at all since. I have fed him quite a lot this evening and put some moisteriser on it, I'm praying that it goes down by the morning as every time I look at him I'm in tears.
I swear I will always have suncream on me in future, even in the bloody winter! :(

Don't worry. Put either aloe Vera gel on his face or some palmers cocoa butter, it will soon calm down xx

We all at some point think we are awful mummies, in reality everyone has had that day where something has happened which makes them feel awful.

Try not to worry hun, By the sounds of it you are more bothered by it than he is.

As everybody said try to get as much fluid down him as possible and see how he is tomorrow.

Dont be too hard on yourself. we all do it!

Last edited:
It's just an accident. It wasn't you being neglective please don't worry! Babies are wriggly and get it silly positions and manage these things. Not your fault.

Don't beat yourself up over it hunny, these things happen! :hug:

I feel much better this morning, his cheek has gone down loads and is now just slighly pink, it still doesn't seem to bother him thank god.
Thank you all so much, I don't know what I would do without this forum sometimes :)

things happen, you didnt know it was gonna be that sunny. heck i feel bad when Lyssa gets hurt or anything but ya cant stop accidents, ive been headbutted on the chin when i sat down with her but it was my fault and it hurt her and i felt bad but it was an accident

I wouldn't worry honey as the others have said these things happen, RJ ended up with mossie bites when we went camping as I hadn't even thought about mossie stuff.....bad mummy ...

I feel much better this morning, his cheek has gone down loads and is now just slighly pink, it still doesn't seem to bother him thank god.
Thank you all so much, I don't know what I would do without this forum sometimes :)

Really glad he woke up ok :)

Bless us mummies ay... We worry ourselves sick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back