Feel so guilty... :(

SaraLouise

Reaction score
So after literally being up with Harrison all night with his colic, and carrying him round all day to get him to settle, he finally fell asleep on my chest on the sofa.. and I fell asleep too! I feel so bad, I know is so dangerous but I was just exhausted. It was only for 30 minutes & I woke up in such a panic. I just keep thinking about what could of happened :(

I'm seriously not coping with the sleep deprivation :(

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh dear, poor you. I always get scared that I'll fall asleep with Ella on me. Sometimes I'm so tired at night I wake up thinking I've forgotten to put her back in her bed after a feed and will have smothered her in my sleep.
If I'm sleeping on the sofa with her, I put her in the middle of my breastfeeding cushion so it's like a horse shoe around her head, then I sleep on one side of the cushion so there's a barrier.

Re colic: have you tried propping the head of his mattress up where he sleeps? I found thus helped. Also bouncing on a Pezzi ball with her in my arms is guaranteed to calm her down.

Sara Louise, don't beat yourself up pet. It happens! I done it with O quite a few times (not intentionally) when he was teeny. He just wouldn't settle any other way & I would say "I'll just lie here & watch TV while he sleeps", then I'd wake up a while later!
Its not for everyone but on the nights when he just wanted his mammy near & I needed some shut eye I done co-sleeping. There was just me & him in the bed though so I didn't have to worry about somebody else. I spoke to my community midwife about it first & she gave me a pamphlet on safe co-sleeping. She did say at the time that she told mummies she would prefer for them to go to bed then lie on the sofa because she could guarantee the mummies would fall asleep on the sofa whether they wanted to or not. I was proof that she was right! :) And don't worry about creating bad habits pet - O is 17 weeks now, sleeps in his own cot, prefers it in fact! The only time we co-sleep now is when we have a snuggle in the morning & he dozes off.
These early weeks are exhausting (like nothing you've ever experienced before) but it passes.
Give the wee fella a smooch from me.xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Sara Louise you're not alone I've done this several times during the night and it's so frightening when you wake up. I always have pillows around me but still it's not right. Please don't feel bad or guilty you're doing a great job under very stressful circumstances!

I'm in the same boat with the sleep deprivation its a killer. My mum asked me va simple question yesterday and I broke down in tears! Everything seems ten times harder when you're lacking sleep.

Btw I'm sorry to hear Harrison has colic, did your gp diagnose this? Hope he gets better soon and you manage to get some sleep xxx

I've had a snooze with Cay on me before, more that once.

I wouldn't worry hun, it happens a lot more than you'd think xx

Thanks ladies.

We have had a few nights of co-sleeping in bed, but I always said that I'd never do it on the sofa as its just too risky.

I haven't seen a doctor about him yet, as we are seeing health visitor tomorrow so I was going to bring it up then.

I will try propping his crib uo tonight & see if that works. I'm also giving him infacol before every feed.

Don't get me wrong I love bfing but I can't help thinking that if he was on formula I could just let OH do one night so I could just get some sleep. I know I could just express a load off & give him that but my boobs get ridiculously engorged if I miss a feed :(

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Oh hun I hope you get some rest tonight. Don't be stressing about sleeping on the sofa with Harrison, he would have surely loved every minute of it, and yes there are risks but there are with everything we do.

You do what you need to to get you through the first few weeks, sleep deprivation is a horrible thing and makes us do stuff that we wouldn't do after a good nights sleep.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back