Feel like a moan.

SarahCarps2be

Reaction score
Heyy.

Sorry girls, I feel like a bit of a moan...

Went doctors last week after having a really achey jaw hinge for about 2-3 weeks...
It isn't my teeth, it's my jaw, so I went doctors rather than dentist...
It's like a weird feeling, like you've pulled a muscle, but in your jaw, doesn't hurt ALL the time, just hurts sometimes, and when I eat...

However, doctor wouldn't do jack all about it and normally she's amazing... She wanted to give me high dose anti inflammitories but couldn't cause of the baby... So told me to take paracetamol but hey.. That aint gonna do f all!

So I sneezed the day after the doctors and OMFG, I instantly burst into hysterics of crying, it felt like my eardrum had burst, and ached for a little bit afterwards... Then was fine again.. No discharge from ear or funny noises....

And now, if I talk loads it doesn't hurt alot... When I wake up it hurts (my jaw/ear)... If I pull my jaw to the side, it feels like someones pulling my eardrum inside?! And if I sneeze its excrutiating everytime...

Just getting on my nerves now and I feel like I don't wanna go docs cause they won't do jack all about it.

:( hmphh.

No need for replies, just wanted a moan! :whistle:

Did the doctor not check in your ear ? it sounds like an ear infection to me , Try laying your ear and jaw on a towel covered hot water bottle it may draw it out , if you get anything come out of your ear I would definitely go back , cause that would be an infection and needs probably anti botics , hope it feels better soon xx

Awww that's awful! When I was in college I knew someone with a painful jaw hinge part and it took her forever to be taken seriously then eventually was diagnosed with something called TJM or something like that... Doctors sometimes really don't seem to care and ignore you when there is something there.
I really hope you get something done about it soon, it's really unfair to leave you like that :hugs:
xx

Did they look in your ear or down your throat? Could be an infection??? Go back and see another Dr!xxx

Awww that's awful! When I was in college I knew someone with a painful jaw hinge part and it took her forever to be taken seriously then eventually was diagnosed with something called TJM or something like that... Doctors sometimes really don't seem to care and ignore you when there is something there.
I really hope you get something done about it soon, it's really unfair to leave you like that :hugs:
xx

yeah the doctor mentioned something about TJM... But just said to take paracetamol...
She didn't look in my ear at all, just put her hand on my hinge and told me to open my mouth and it clicked really loudly and she went ooo. But that was it...
She was running late so probably just being lazy to get back on time!

Just makes me disapointed in her cause she's always really good, and this time she seemed not :(.

I get inflammed cartilage anyway but in my ribs, which is called costochondritis which is causing me pain too but I know what it is and I know how to ease it slightly so thats cool.. So I didn't know if it was similar but in my jaw instead :S...

I'll wait until next week and see what it feels like towards the end of the week and if not any better I'll go back.

Aww :hugs: I've no advice but just hope u feel better soon! Xxxx

sounds like ear infection or blocked eustachion tubes (which are tubes that run from your ear to your sinuses/nose), and that can be caused by hayfever. The reason I know is because I have it, and have had to get operations to clear fluid build up in my inner ear and even grommets fitted in my ears!! The pain can be felt in your jaw, but it is actually coming from your ear/blocked sinuses/eustachion tube. Antihistamines might help, as may a nasal spray.

Hope it clears for you soon xxx

sounds like ear infection or blocked eustachion tubes (which are tubes that run from your ear to your sinuses/nose), and that can be caused by hayfever. The reason I know is because I have it, and have had to get operations to clear fluid build up in my inner ear and even grommets fitted in my ears!! The pain can be felt in your jaw, but it is actually coming from your ear/blocked sinuses/eustachion tube. Antihistamines might help, as may a nasal spray.

Hope it clears for you soon xxx

Ohh, thankyou chicken!

I didn't think it wasn an ear infection... I suffered with them loads as a kid, and always remmber them aching like mad, and this doesn't ache all the time so didn't think it was an infection!

Spoke to my agency manager today and she's told me to go back to the doctors so I think I'll try and book one for friday, hopefully in the afternoon so I can cheekily have a half day at work ;).

Just the pain is unbearable when I sneeze, and I sneeze like ALL the time!
My hayfever hasn't occured this year at all, I'm geberally a sneezy person anyway, mints even set me off sneezing and stuff!

Don't be suprised if it is allergy related Sarah, all my problems seem to arise from allergies!!! lol Pollen count is meant to be high this year, and I think it's tree pollen at the minute is the culprit for my hayfever.....it can make you feel horrible!!
Just thought, could also be that you are grinding your teeth at night? Sometimes if you are stressed that can happen, and you have an achy jaw as a result!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of it on Fri...let us know!! xx

Don't be suprised if it is allergy related Sarah, all my problems seem to arise from allergies!!! lol Pollen count is meant to be high this year, and I think it's tree pollen at the minute is the culprit for my hayfever.....it can make you feel horrible!!
Just thought, could also be that you are grinding your teeth at night? Sometimes if you are stressed that can happen, and you have an achy jaw as a result!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of it on Fri...let us know!! xx

Yeah I guess so! Can affect us in different ways I suppose!

I am a teeth grinder, but my OH usually tells me off for doing it in the night and he hasn't mentioned it...
But I probably have been unconsciously clenching my jaw due to stress at the moment due to family bereavement so could be down to that!

But I will go docs Friday and I will update you all!

Thankyou for the advice chick! :)

Yes that's why thought ear infection too, as I only ever suffer from hayfever when I'm pregnant, and it's really awful at the moment my glands in my throat are really swollen up I can feel pressure deep inside my ears too. xx

Last edited:
Yes that's why thought ear infection too, as I only ever suffer from hayfever when I'm pregnant, and it's really awful at the moment my glands in y throat are really swollen up I can feel pressure deep inside my ears too. xx

Ooo maybe it is this then!! Deffo need to get it sorted either way! Blimmin thing! :whistle:

Karolina is a genius, she always has answers :D xxxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I suffer with TMJ and get alot of pain in my ears and sometimes jaw when it's most bad.

Unfortunately if it is this, it's not that well known about and doesn't seem to be taken very seriously by health professionals. I have had it since I was about 14/15, started with bad earache. I would got to the doctors with my mum, just to be told that there was nothing there, no infection or that I was making it up. My mum knew it was true as I stopped going out with my friends and usually I was never at home!

I finally got a referral to the ENT department at my local hospital a few years later, where the doctor looked in my ears, put his fingers in my ears and asked me to open/close my mouth and had a prod. He never gave me a name for it, but did recognise there was a problem. I found out about a year later what the actual name for it is. They didnt give me any info/advice/options about treatment, so was left to put up with it.

I kept going back to the doctors, who told me I would have to try my dentist. I went to my dentist who said that I may be able to get a mouth guard for during the night to stop me from grinding my teeth (which I dont or ever have done) but wouldnt do it until I'd had a filling done to rule out my tooth as a cause of the pain. I refused to have that done, as at the time I couldnt even think about needles without getting very panicky and upset. So I went for CBT. Then my dentist went on long term sick leave, so no help. I was told that if a mouth guard didnt work, then I may have to have physio, or an operation which would mean I would have to have my jaw wired shut.

When it was at its worse, all I ate in a week was a chip butty and a spoonful of cornflakes. I was weak, tired and emotional. I gave up eating because it felt like my jaw was going to drop off or pop out after a few mouthfuls of food. It took me ages to eat, and would feel like an absolute uphill struggle- like when you try and eat when your drunk and cant get your mouth to chew iykwim? Anyway, its been ok for a few months now. Temperature and stress really affect mine.

If your stressed or upset about something it will make it worse. The only thing you can really do is to take some paracetamol or ibuprofen (or equivalent), try applying some heat or a cool pack and avoid chewy, crunchy foods (french bread, raw veg, meat etc etc).

I've become a bit of an expert on this lol, as OH was also diagnosed with it about 6 months ago. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back