Feeding at 7-9 months.

Red_Fairy

Reaction score
Im sure Hannah is eating too much. I got a shock last night when i looked at the back of the formular and it said babies should be having approx. 3 (full) bottles every 24hours. For her age. (7++ months)

Hannahs food routine:

8-9am - two full rusks and cows milk.

11-12pm - 240mls of forular milk. (to fall asleep to) (half hour nap)

2pm - mushed fruite.

3-4pm - 240mls of formular milk. (to fall asleep to) (half hour nap)

5-6pm - full dinner, usually a stage 2 large tin of baby food. and a little pud.

7-8pm - 240mls of formular milk (to fall asleep to, then in bed for night)

1-2am full (240-8scoops) f/milk

4-5am full (240-8scoops) f/milk

it works out 5 or even 6 bottles in a 24 hour period. I so wish i could drop the night ones, but it just dosent seem to be happening. (she used to sleep through up till about 5 months but not anymore at all)

I think im giving her enough solids - am i not?

Hananh also weighes more then her 15-16 month old cousin. Tho no one thinks its any consern.

Am i doing somthing wrong? could anyone let me know thier babies food routine of a simular age.

ta.

AS am b/feeding hard to compare but maybe a bigger midday meal and have you tried replacing some milk with water ?

I would say same as Cloud......maybe at lunchtime, give her a jar, as well as some mashed fruit, then she may drop a bottle.
You may find she drops the night time feeds too once she's used to eating a little more in the day, as the extra food may sustain her.

Libby is a little older but her typical day is:

4-6am - 7oz bottle (she has Follow-On Milk)
8-9am - 1 x weetabix/ porridge (with cows milk), and a little corner of my toast.
11am - 7oz bottle
12.30-1.30pm - Half a big jar of stage 2 food in quantity/ petit filous or fruit custard/ a few raisins or blueberries or similiar.
3-4pm - A few ricecakes or a baby biscuit/rusk as a snack
5-6pm - Same amount of food as lunchtime...but I break half a rusk into her fruit custard/ yoghurt.
7.30 - 8oz bottle

Between her bottles she has water only - if she's niggly in the day I just give her some fruit to snack on.

Will she take water from the bottle? Have you tried offering her water if she wakes during the night? Doesn't work for all babies, and I've not tried it myself, but I hear it can work for some babies, as they don't think its worth waking up for.

I think if your HV isn't concerned about Hannah's weight, then don't be overly worried.....all babies gain weight differently, and you will find that as soon as she's more active the weight gain will settle down, Libby has lost weight since she started crawling.

Poppy is younger but coming up to 7 months. I was breastfeeding and she was having 1 feed a night. I stopped bf just over a week ago and gave her a little formula during the night instead and then decreased the amount each night and didn't give her any last night. She still wakes loads during the night but I think it is for cuddles (and trying to get into our bed) rather than hunger. I had spoken to the hv about it and she had suggested that I give her water instead of milk for night feeds but Poppy hated the water so I just decided to decrease instead. Hopefully it has worked but I'll soon find out tonight!!

I had been looking on all websites about nightfeeds as it was driving me crazy and I did read that babies shouldn't need night feeds once they are on 3 meals a day, but I read and get loads of different advice. One of my hv reckons that they should stop around 8 months whereas another one told me 6 months. Every baby is different and has different needs.

With regards to amount of milk, I found this on a website

"Once you start adding solids to his diet, his daily intake of formula milk should gradually decrease to about 720ml / 24oz. The Food Standards Agency recommends that once your baby is established on solids, he should be having approximately 600ml / 20oz or one pint of formula milk per day alongside a varied diet until he is a year old. After the age of one, he can move from drinking formula milk to full-fat cow's milk.

Bear in mind that these are only rough guidelines, and your baby will let you know if he's getting too much or too little formula. If you are not sure, talk with your health visitor"

Hope this is some help and I haven't babbled on!!

Would a dream feed at midnight work? Help her sleep through until 4-5am? I've not used them myself so cannot say if that would work at her age or not, anyone know? Isaac has roughly 25oz of formula a day, 2 jars of food, half a slice of toast and dairylea, maybe a rusk, some tangerines and finger foods, Organix make lots of good finger foods, and they're widely available, I think introduce lots of finger foods, maybe offer her some throughout the day to keep her fuller? Also is she drinking water? I know Isaac won't entertain i t yet, but water is filling, so if she will take some of that? To try and move her away from the bottle more, as she wakes for the bottle, it may be partly comfort, partly routine.

Fluffybunny gave me great advice when she said to only offer finger foods between about 1 and 5 pm'ish, then at 5 give a meal, and a bottle, and then another bottle at 7pm'ish, obviously if she will take it, its just about offering more food earlier and later.

Very best wishes Rachel, she's certainly got lots of spirit your lovely little girl, I do hope she settles down more for you real soon, you take care :hug:

Matilda is 7 months

she has a 180ml formula in the morning when she wakes

9-10am - either 1 weetabix mixed with 90ml of formula and a bit of fresh fruit mixed in or babyrice mixed with formula mixed with fresh fruit. I also give her water
12-1.30pm - she has potato mixed with either a chicken or meat or veggie soup, youghurt or fresh fruit puree after, water to drink
5-6pm - a custard type thingy that we have here in greece, again water
7-8pm a 180ml formula milk.

It is very rare now that she wakes for another feed during the night

thanks everyone for your replys. So it is alot then isnt it. Last night we decided she could have one bottle of water and 1 of milk through the night. She woke every half hour and it was the worst night yet. Tho we did stick to our guns. We'll do it again tonight.

Today i gave her bannanas and oats for breaky, finger foods, 2 rusks for lunch, bottle mid afternoon, and now (6pmish) she's just had a lasange and pud. She'll get another bottle between 7-8pm, for bed.
Really just gonna try and fill her up as much as i can before bed, and in the mornings. Ive got her down to 3 in the last 24 hours! but shes having another soon so really its 4. big improvment tho.

Ill keep you posted on how i get on. I dont expect her to sleep through as i think its a mixture of seperation anxiety and hunger. I was just worred shes having too much formular. (2 FULL bottles a night tho!)

Thanks again :)

oh and shes been on the hungerier stuff sinse she was 2 weeks old!

Our LO also has about 4 bottles of 7oz per 24 hours and he is 8 months. Our paediatrician told us that what is recommended on the formula tubs is a suggestion/guideline and doesn't have to be stuck to rigidly as all babies are different, different sizes etc. I think the point of it being 3 7oz bottles in 24 hours is going on the assumption (of the manufacturers) that babies are eating more solids by this age and are fuller during the day so are not needing as much milk. We also give LO some boiled cooled water but he hates it. We sometimes give him camomile tea (very diluted) and he hates that too. I think he associates formula with feeling safe and secure. We are trying to reduce his milk slowly but surely and get him drinking other liquids but it is hard. Good luck with it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back