fathers name on the birth certificate?

lulu

Reaction score
Hi, I lost my job after I told my employer I was pregnant and I had to sign on to benefits.
I have continued to look for work but to no avail, not easy when employers know you will be leaving in a few months time and probably not going back.

Anyway, I am concerned that when the baby is born and the fathers name goes on the birth certificate my benefits will be taken away.
This is more of a worry as I rent my home from him and at present my housing benefit to pay my rent goes direct to him. I am financially independent and dont get any financial support from him but Im worried that the benefits agency, council etc wont see it that way and I will end up getting nothing :? .

Does anyone have advice on this?
Thanks

Hello!!!

I am not sure if my answer is true but i have been told that if u r not married, the father cannot declare the baby as his. The baby will have ur name and if the father wants to recognise the baby, he has to go to the registry office to declare the baby. You might need to check that. I do not know if you have a relationship with the father, but if it is the case they night see you living with him.
I am a bit in a similar situation. My b/f does not work, well he cannot work but this has not be recognised as cannot as 100% so what he gets is means tested and am afraid once he declares the baby as his, he will lose everything but we will do it as i want our child to have his name and we want to live together properly. And if that means we have to lose his benefits, we will have to be more careful with money!!!

hope this helped but cannot guarantee it is 100 % true, maybe others can confirm this?

Take care.

Sorry to add but you should sue your employer for unfair dismissal (sorry my english is not good tonight) as he CANNOT sack you because of ur pregnancy. I would go for it if i were u, who r they to do that?

Hi

As far as I was aware it didnt make any difference if you put the fathers name on the birth certificate, if you are not together and you are not getting any finanacial help from him then it shouldnt affect your benefits, worth checking out with council etc though

good luck

Natalie x

Another thing to consider, even if his name isn't on the birth certificate, the CSA (child support agency) will want to know who he is. If you're claiming income support as a single parent, AFAIK they have a right to cut benefits if you don't tell them.

Tracy xx

Hi, thanks for your posts so far, im more confused than ever now!

I would like the fathers name on the birth certificate by the way, I am just worried that if I do so I will end up losing benefits.

I am taking the employer to court but that is the least of my worries.

I really need to get the right info on this :( do the CSA step in even if you do not approach them? if the father pays so much towards childcare does that get taken off your benefits?

:? :? :?

Hi lulu,

with regards to the birth cetificate, if you want the fathers name on there he has to go with you to the registra.
With regards to your benefits, they should not be affected if you have a tenancy agreement, stating that you are a tennant and the father is landlord, if you have proper documentation, its completly different to living with your partner but you will need the documentation to show you pay him rent.
Hope this helps.xx

Hi Lulu

My sister in law was on benefits and getting money from her ex for their children and it was taken out of her benefit money. She now works 17 hours a week as a dinner lady and can keep everything that he gives her and she gets working and family tax credit. Her total income comes to 21K a year. Something to consider as it might be more beneficial to do a part time job over 16 hours a week. But i know that what he paid her came out of her income support money.

hope this helps.

Good luck

i was just wondering... what if the father's name doesnt go on the birth certificate? would he still be able to apply for a parental responsibility agreement?

xxx

Hi so confused

From January 2004, if the couple were not married then the father was entitled to equal parental rights. I do not know if this counts if their name isnt on the birth certificate.

Sorry not much help i know

xx

I went on to income support when I was signed off sick with our second child. Daniel, our eldest, isn't Stuarts biological son, although he may as well be, but the CSA became involved even though I didn't want anything to do with Daniel's father. They told me that by income support would be cut if I didn't tell them. The claim went through, and I got the money into my bank but knocked off the income support. Now I'm working again, the maintenance goes straight into tha bank account, a whole £3.60 a month!!! Think I'd rather do without

Tracy xx

OMG! that amount is ridiculous!

the father of my baby is being a right jack! he has kind of decided to go back into education so he gets out of paying maintenance as a default as he will be in full time education, so im really mad at him! so legally he can pay nothing and still get access how unfair!

xxx

Hi, I just need to add that my situation is very different than some and its nothing about maintenance payments and parental rights, fathers access to the child etc.

I am hoping to start training as a nurse next year, I just need to know the situation whilst on maternity leave.

What if I put the fathers name on the birth certificate as 'unknown', how does that stand with the csa?

Do the benefits agency ask to see the birth certificate or clarify who the father is in either situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back