Fasting Blood Test

Becky

Reaction score
Had my midwife appointment and had a trace of glucose in my wee which along with my bump measuring a bit big and my mum having had gestational diabetes with my brother has prompted my midwife to do a Fasting Blood Test. I'm popping into the hospital tomorrow morning to have blood taken and I'm not allowed to eat or drink anything but water from midnight tonight!

I'm not too worried but it will be interesting to know as baby has always measured above the lines which was surprising as DD was a tiddler at 6lb 14oz and I've always felt bigger than last time but couldn't be sure as 3 years is a long time and it's easy to forget.

I already have an appointment with the consultant for 35 weeks as I had an emergency section with DD so I'm guessing if I do have gestational diabetes then my chances of needing another section are higher?

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes after a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks (which will probably be what they do to you tomorrow - they take fasting blood, give you a sugary drink and then test your blood again after 2 hours)

They say that diabetic women have bigger babys but it doesn't necesarily mean c-section. I'm being induced at 38 weeks because I'm on insulin but I also know that rate of c-section with diabetic mothers is higher because they don't take any chances due to the higher rate of stillbirths with diabetic mothers.

See what they say after your tests. My glucose tolerance test was just under the cut off for diabetic but I still ended up on insulin. It all depends on how high your blood sugars are on how they treat you.

Good luck.

i had the test on monday and i had the all clear despite glucose in urine and the pin prick test being at 6.4 an d6.7.
good luck :hug:

Well I had my blood taken, am waiting for the results although she did say I'd ony hear if there was something to tell. Midwife didn't seem worried so I'm not, but I do hope that if it's all ok that baby's growth will either level off to normal or is just another example of the fundal height not meaning much lol!

My SIL had gestational Diabetes but a normal delivery (well, induced at 37 weeks and something), she had plenty of growth scans at the very end though.

I've not had GD or has MW even looked into the possibility of it but I have been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead on the growth chart since 24 weeks. She finally sent me for a proper growth scan last week at 37 weeeks :roll: and it turns out the baby is perfect size and fits smack in the middle of the lines on the growth chart at 7lbs 1oz...... I was well chuffed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back