* Eye Gunk.... *

lfc_sarah

Reaction score
Callum has started to get gunk, like sleep in his eyes when he wakes up from a sleep..

Is it normal or could it be an eye infection?

Ive been wiping it away with warm water on cotton balls..

Its not swolen and doesnt seem to be causing him any problems but it looks a bit... vile :?

It could be a blocked tear duct, my youngest had it when he was a baby, just keep doing what your doing and mention it to the H/V

Sounds like sticky eye and is quite normal in newborns and young babies. Happens for the reasons sarah113 said.

My MW and HV said bathing it with cooled boiled water (sterile) at least 5 times a day (and using a fresh piece of cotton wool for each single wipe of eye and starting from the nose and working outwards). Also then to squeeze a few drops of breast milk onto each eye a few times a day also helps. Did for my LO until he got an actual eye infection and then needed eye drops. His eyes are lovely now and it was only ever one got sticky and then swelled up after about a week.

I agree it could be a blocked tear duck Lola had one and i just had to keep cleaning it until it unblocked :)

keep an eye on it (no pun intended :lol: ) as my LO had gunkey eyes and it turned out to be conjunctivitis.

All of mine go this!
I used cooled boiled water too! Though with lucy they gave me some saline water to use! (though I don know why?? lol)

sticky eyes VERY common in newborns BUT if it dont clear up in 2 months keep naggin ur docs coz i did that and it turned out to be chlamydia :shock: which led to finding out that me and my boyf also had it too (not in our eyes tho, in the usual place in fact thats how she got it from me :( ) all 3 of us are clean now. but i was made to feel silly and over-protective as its so common but im glad i was that vigilant else we'd all still have it!
hope i havent scared u like i said sticky eye is really common and probably all it is in ur case but just bear in mind if it dont clear up. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back