gunky eye

halemon

Reaction score
our little one is10 days old and has had a sore left eye since birth due to her having her hand there at birth and scratching the lid a bit. it had seemed to be healing but now she wakes up with a gunky ee every morning, im keeping it clean and it doesnt seem to bother her too much, do you think theres an infection there? do i take her to the docs for some cream or something?

You could do since it has not cleared up over the 10 days. It wouldn't hurt to get some ointment - this will be free of course if prescribed through GP.

Kim x x x x x

Could be sticky eye, common in newborns. Bathe in cooled boiled water with cotton wool 4-5 times a day. Also a squirt of breastmilk after cleaning can hep. Also massaging the tear duct can help unblock it. Do this daily.

My LO had sticky eye till he was about 5 months old. Only twice did he need any drops or ointment for it during this time. The rest of the time I bathed it and squirted on some breast milk.

sticky eye is very common in newborns. its probably just that. as sherlock said cooled boiled water and breastmilk are great for that.

however, u are ur babys mother and u kno if there is something wrong. if u have any nagging doubts that its not clearing up, go to the GP and get swabs done.

this is what happened with me, my daughter developed "sticky eye" at 7 days old, and 2 months on it wasnt getting any better depite drops and ointments, in fact if anything it was worse. i kept nagging the docs about it i felt like a right tit because i knew they were thinking i was being a hyperchondriac(sp?) but it paid off in the end- swabs came back tested positive for chlamydia. she had caught it from me during the birth :oops: worst way EVER to find out i had an STI :cry: (it was symptomless for me i had no idea). thankfully she was treated with erythromycin (myself and OH also had the same antibiotic) and it cleared up straight away, and now we are all clean thank gods. had it not been found and treated as early as it was, it could have damaged her eyesight :( i was VERY angry that i wasnt tested in pregnancy, especially as its a "young persons" disease and all under 25's are routinely tested, i had JUST had my 26th birthday :evil: think all pregnant women should be tested, grrr- but i'm over that now i am just glad my little girl's eyes are ok :)

its more than likely in ur case its just sticky eye, but i tell this story to everyone so they can be vigilant. hope it clears up soon :hug:

Lydia had really sticky gunky eyes for the first couple of months after she was born. We just used to gently clean it with water on cotton balls.

It cleared up by itself though. It's quite common in newborns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back