Extra Care after Miscarriage

mrskb

Reaction score
Hi All

We very sadly had a missed miscarriage (10 weeks, poor little beans heart stopped beating at 10) towards the end of September, I had an ERPC the next day and I am now waiting for my period so we can start trying again.

Has all been very difficult and both my hubbie and I have had a range of emotions but we are starting to think about trying again and I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of antenatal care after miscarriage, are you allowed extra scans, do you get any additional support from your midwife. To tell you the truth I would be dreading any scans as we were told not to worry about my spotting so were totally unprepared for the terrible news.

I think this forum is fab and send all my love to all you ladies who are going through this super difficult time.

Kim x

Unfortunately, I didnt get any extra care until after my 2nd MC :( but the midwife is always there to answer any worries xx

Thanks Jaxx, is good to know just so I can prepare myself for when the time comes (fingies crossed)

What extra care did you receive after your 2nd miscarriage if you don't mind me asking

Thanks

Kim x

Leanne did you have a missed miscarriage, at what weeks were you offered the extra scans?

Thanks

x

I had an early scan at 6 weeks... and again at 9 weeks then the usual one at 12 weeks so I was reassured along the way. Also, because I fell without a period inbetween I also had beta blood tests done (2 x blood tests 48hrs apart) to see if the hormone was rising. Im sure you can request this anyway as this is the best early indication of whether everything is going in the right direction. I hope that helps and good luck xxxx

Thanks Jaxx

That sounds very thorough and I hope this helped to put your mind at ease

x

It did...obviously you are going to worry, its natural hun..and especially when you go for scans etc as they will prob be at the same place your MMC was diagnosed?? So the worry will be there..but you will get through it and you know there is absolutely no reason why the next pregnancy shouldnt be successful xxx

Sorry to hear you had to go through that Hun :hug:

I didn't get any extra care either. No extra scans, nothing. I didn't expect to really either. The GP/midwife were very matter of fact about things and said I should treat this as a completely unrelated experience which has the best chance if succeeding despite the last one going wrong.

I was not offered an early scan. I mentioned I was worried and the midwife actively talked me out of paying for one (I did anyway because I was going on holiday). She said it will only reassure you for a day and it could still go wrong after that. Basically she said just hang in there and get to 12 weeks.

Thanks for your kind words girls.

It is really funny miscarriages aren't really spoken about until you tell people that you have had one then you realise just how common this sort of thing is.

I know I am going to be anxious but would rather be prepared.

x

Hey hun, I've had 2 missed miscarriages and now pregnant for the third time, after both mc I was offered extra scans, I have found the care to be great from all the drs and midwives

Very sorry for your loss but wish you all the best for next time, xx

Hey hun, I've had 2 missed miscarriages and now pregnant for the third time, after both mc I was offered extra scans, I have found the care to be great from all the drs and midwives

Very sorry for your loss but wish you all the best for next time, xx

wishing you all the best for this time, haven't spoken to anyone since my mmc but will be pushing for additional early scans and will see what happens. am prepared to go private if necessary! gl hun xxx

Sorry hun X

I had a mmc at 11 wks plus 5 , and baby had died at 9 ish weeks. I had a period 26 days later and then was lucky enougth to fall pregnant that next cycle , when I saw the docs at about 10 weeks (which you have to), (I had been spotting again, like last time) , so I told her I was worried about it happening again. She quite happily sent me for a reasurance scan at 10 weeks , and it was so nice to see the hb on the screen, but they dated me at only 8 plus 6 before where my mmc baby had died , so as I left the lady suggested that she would be happy for me to come back the next week at 10 weeks for another scan, I gladly took her up on this and sa baby again.

Just a warning tho, as lovely as thesed scans were, I only stopped worrying from the scan , to the door of the hosp it felt like! As it can go wrong at any time, it didn't last long... I got my dates changed back to later at my 12 week scan as mine were correct , so first scan actually was 9 weeks after all.

Good luck when you ttc , remember every pregnancy is different, do push for a reasurance scan tho X

Last edited:
I had my mc at 7 weeks one in April and the other 4 years ago at the same time. I was offered one at 7 weeks but didn't make it too that. lol. I started bleeding at 6 weeks and went up saw nothing but the sac and yolk. Had to go back 10 days later and saw a hb and a tiny bean. Then bled again at 9 weeks. Again went for scan and bubs was fine. No reason for the bleeds. Had my normal scan at 12 weeks. I have to say the other ladies are right the reassurance last a matter of minutes. I still check even now when I go to the toilet if there is any bleeding and I check everyday with the doppler. I think I will be paranoid all the way through to be honest. It just means we want these babies so very much. Good Luck hun. xxx

Hi Mrskb,
Really sorry to hear about your loss, I had a MMC last year when went for 12 wk scan and like you was a total shock and was not prepared for the news at all!

My next pregnancy I asked my MW if I could have a scan at 8 wks ( I wanted to be sure that the embryo was big enough for the heartbeat to be seen etc)
I was told that I measured just under 6 wks, and they couldnt see the heartbeat but it was not unusual at 6 wks - and i was to come back a week later.
so i was really angry at my MW thinking she had got my dates wrong and i told her i wanted to far along enough to not have to go back.
Anyway, a week later it was confirmed that in fact the baby had died at 6 wks.

Now my body never gives me any clue of this!! . No bleeding no nothing!!! Boobs still large and sore etc etc.

So even though I was given the awful news, I am glad I knew a little earlier (rather than 12wks) as the longer it goes on and the more hope you have, and the more hopes and dreams of the future you have , the harder it hurts.

So I would push for an early scan, even if it does put your mind at ease just for a short while, atleast you will know that there is a heartbeat or not.
Good luck with trying again. xx

i would ask for early scan, i was told id get extra scans to confirm all was alright (i had a slightly different issue neural tube defect skull not forming at scan but heart beat fine) so they can do additional scans if they want to but i think you have to ask. xxx

I'll be able to have an NHS scan at 7 weeks due to M/C back in May...

I have to say the EPU were fab with me. They saw me every week, scanned me, as my situation was slighly 'odd' they got the head consultant and gave me a second scan on each visit - they were very thorough and although pretty 'business like' I felt quite looked after.

However after a recent chemical pregnancy I was so angry to find that no-one (not my GP or the EPU) could really do anything for me? So it won't even go down on my medical file. I was only 5w 2d and it happened over the weekend but GP couldn't see me to blood test in time to see if HCG was still present and EPU told me not to come in unless I was in severe pain or bleeding badly :shock:

We are now TTC again and whilst I'll be down as 1 prior M/C I have actually had an additional loss that won't even be counted.. I will make sure that I try to get the CP onto my files though!

I am bricking being pregnant again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back