Expressing question while BF

JJ Mum

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I was breastfeeding one side for 10-15 mins for Devon at each feed, but couldn't get him back on again after winding (he drops off himself after the 15 mins or I would keep going).

I have loads of milk , so started expressing each evening after a feed as the hospital wanted me to top him up with bottle of forumla to help flush out the jaundice from my antibodies. I didn't want him to have non Breastmilk yet f possible so stuarted expressing.

I got 5 oz at a go , (both sides combined tho).

The comunity midwife told me to leave expressing for the time being so my boobs settled down as they were huge and sore , and then if I ever did it, to do it only at the same time as baby feeding on the other to trick my body into thinking I was not doing an extra feed ?!

Any one else been told this? It would be handy to express but not increase my milk supply too much as I am getting lots of milk ?

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure but going to try and go to my local breast feeding group tomorrow morning and most of the questions I have are about expressing and how best to do it so if I get any answers I'll let you know :)

hmm JJ i dont know if youve been told right, not necessarily wrong though if that makes sense, i think you should express whenever you are most full ie in the mornings or in the bath! thats what ive always thought, i was gonna express in the mornings if i found i had lots of milk. so annoying with all conflicting advice really, i think i would use the expressed milk to top up too rather than buying formula! completely personal preference and opinion though x

maybe cos your body is working out how to adjust your supply to fit baby it's best to express while feeding to start with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back