Problems expressing

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Throughout my pregnancy, I was adament I wanted to formula feed. When Noah was born, his first proper feed was Cow & Gate. He had that for a few days, then after seeing him in SCBU I decided to express milk instead because as they say, breast is best. My boobs were really hurting in hospital, so I used their expressing machines to express into bottles, which was fine. When I was discharged I had to rush to Mothercare to buy a pump and bought a Tommy Tippee one because it was on offer. Got it home, used it and it was fine, I was getting a good amount of milk.
I've began using it more often now and I've noticed I'm not expressing enough anymore. I'm sat here now with just one made up bottle in the fridge ready for his next feed, and I don't know what to do after that. I'm finding that I'm putting the pump on the highest level, and after about 15 mins it really slows down and hardly anything comes out.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I know nothing about all this as like I said, all through my pregnancy I chose formula and never read up on breastfeeding.

The thing is you have to actually breastfeed rather than pump in order to keep up the supply. Does your lo latch on without problems?
Its the suckling and their saliva that tells your body more milk is needed, and pump cant empty you like your little one can.
I have definitely noticed my suppky diminished when i started topping up with formula.
Do you have breastfeeding support groups near you? I founs them helpful when i needed help.
And well done you for having a go, esp if your lo was in special care

sent from my Galaxy s2

The thing is you have to actually breastfeed rather than pump in order to keep up the supply. Does your lo latch on without problems?
Its the suckling and their saliva that tells your body more milk is needed, and pump cant empty you like your little one can.
I have definitely noticed my suppky diminished when i started topping up with formula.
Do you have breastfeeding support groups near you? I founs them helpful when i needed help.
And well done you for having a go, esp if your lo was in special care

sent from my Galaxy s2

I don't put him to my breast. He had problems feeding when he was born, and because I gave him a bottle straight away, I didn't want to confuse him. Plus the midwives at the hospital encouraged me to express and never said anything about it possibly becoming a problem or my supply lowering etc. Community midwives came to visit me yesterday and asked if I was still expressing to feed him and I said yes and all they said was 'Good, try and do it every 3 hours'.

I've got a box of Cow & Gate, and I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to break into it and use it :( really feel like a let down at the moment because I'm struggling feeding my own baby :(

How old is your lo now? On my phone so cant see tickers. Your midwives make me angry, they should have explained. Has anyone shown you how to latch him on? Do get someone to help, nct, le leche league or your local group.
If you want to carry on breastfeeding, they can help.
Dont feel bad if you have to open formula, your lo needs feeding and if you have to top up, do.
I found HVs useless as they told me his latch was fine when it wasnt(3 of them!)

sent from my Galaxy s2

How old is your lo now? On my phone so cant see tickers. Your midwives make me angry, they should have explained. Has anyone shown you how to latch him on? Do get someone to help, nct, le leche league or your local group.
If you want to carry on breastfeeding, they can help.
Dont feel bad if you have to open formula, your lo needs feeding and if you have to top up, do.
I found HVs useless as they told me his latch was fine when it wasnt(3 of them!)

sent from my Galaxy s2

He's only 10 days old. I don't mind not having him on my breast, just as long as he's getting the milk, it's fine. Plus my OH can help out with it too. But yeah, all the midwives have said to keep expressing every 3hrs and not mentioned anything about possible problems or that my milk might lower. So I really don't know what to do. I need to express soon so LO can have a feed.

knopk@ is right hun. If you want to carry on with breast milk then baby has to go to breast.

Your body can't be fooled by pumps so expressing only is only a temporary option. Baby sends messages to your body via saliva to say what quanity/antibodies etc etc are needed. Pumps can't do that. Some people can solely express for days, some for a few weeks but milk will dry up without baby going to breast at all.

xxxx

Just rang the National Breastfeeding helpine and she said expressing is absolutely fine on it's own. She gave me some tips on how to keep my flow going such as switching boobs every couple of minutes etc. And that I should top up with formula if needed

What's your problem with putting baby on the boob if you don't mind me asking? As it appears that you're trying to avoid it at all costs?
It really is the best way to increase your milk supply substantially as the other ladies have already explained xx

Expressing is absolutely fine, but it can't be maintained permanently xxx

You need lots of skin to skin and putting baby to the breast too so your body knows to increase the supply. You could try snuggling up in bed and relaxing together. Im quite surprised tho breast feeding help line didn't say that to put baby to breast. You could also try fenugreek, eating oats like flapjacks, and drinking plenty of water. Some other people you can also try for more advice too.
http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/about/helpline.htm
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/default.html
hope you manage to increase your supply x
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I feed him mainly expressed bottles, but I put him to the breast in the evening to boost milk supply. I think even nuzzling will work, or, as the girls say, cuddling and let him try.
(as for nipple confusion, I fed mine bottles and gave him boob as well and he never showed the slightest sign of confusion. MWs told me nipple confusion is quite rare and mainly in very new babies)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the breastfeeding helpline - you cannot give our baby purely expressed milk, you never pump as much as a baby will get out, so supply Will just dwindle. If its about your oh helping, the baby can have expressed
Milk in a bottle, but as well As being on the breast.

Thanks for the replies ladies.
I'm putting him to the breast now and all is fine. We had no problems whatsoever which surprised me because he's been feeding by bottle since he was born, and a mw told me cos he's a bit premature he might have problems latching on. He's fine!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

So so glad to hear that! Well done you should be proud carrying on like you have!

Well done you! Be proud for persevering! xx

Thanks everyone :D

Very new to all this. Throughout my pregnancy I'd decided on formula feeding, but when he was born, obviously changed my mind. So I spent my entire pregnancy not reading up on breastfeeding and now know nothing whatsoever about it! Done a little bit of research and read those leaflets you get about it, but that's about it really. So if anyone has any advice at all - it would be appreciated :)

My LO was in scbu for a week as well and now we're exclusively breast feeding. My advice would be to relax, enjoy the bond, and be very proud of yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back