exemption certificate

Vicki & Nathan

Reaction score
i suddenly thought i dont have my exemption card yet. how do i get this do i see the midwife about this?

Hi, I got mine when i saw the doctor at 9 weeks, you could get it from your doctor or midwife.

I filled in a form at my booking in appointment and it came through in the post about 10 days later. Speak to your MW/doc about it because they should send the form away for you

I had to send some sort of form off ages ago that my mw signed but havent had anything back?

Is this the same certificate that gets you free dental?

i got mine through after my scan appointment when I would have been about 12 weeks?

x

ill def get onto her about it this afternoon i need some more gaviscon and whats the point buying it when i could get it free! and also i need some cream for this awful itching too!

Vicki get aqueson cream for the itching its excellent.

You can get it through your midwife or GP. They need to sign it to certify that you are pregnant. However, you don't get the exemption certificate straight away, it needs to be printed then sent out to you. But you are still entitled to exemption to prescriptions (provided the form has been sent off), using one of two of the following options:

1) Tick the maternity exemption box on the back of the prescription. As you don't have the actual exemption card, the pharmacist therefore has not seen any proof that you are exempt and may mark on the back that they haven't seen any evidence, and this could lead to the NHS contacting you to clarify on the situation (this is the NHS's way at targeting exemption fraud)

2) Pay the prescription fee(s), but ask for an NHS receipt (it's called an FP57 - and this must be obtained at the time of dispensing), which enables you to re-claim the paid fees once the exemption certificate is received - refunds are processed at any NHS-dispensing pharmacy.

I asked for this at my 16 and 20 week appointment.
Evidently you see the GP at 24 weeks who issues it then (a MATB form I think she called it). If you currently pay for prescriptions etc keep the reciepts you can claim back costs later.

Nicola said:
I asked for this at my 16 and 20 week appointment.
Evidently you see the GP at 24 weeks who issues it then (a MATB form I think she called it). If you currently pay for prescriptions etc keep the reciepts you can claim back costs later.

There are 2 different types of certificates - the maternity exemption certificate and the MATB1 certificate. The first is the one that entitles you to free prescriptions, dental care etc. on the NHS - this can be issued right from the start of pregnancy. The MATB1 certificate is used as proof of pregnancy for your employer or if you need to apply for maternity allowance, and this is available from 20 weeks through your GP or midwife.

Ahhh that makes sense I'm not fussed about the whole free prescriptions thing I just wanted the certificate that's issued at 20 weeks to apply to join the cotton nappy scheme the local council run....£30 off my council tax bill (big deal when it's as expensive as it is) but I want the little packet of freebies that goes along with it!! :wink: I have can apply up to 8 weeks before baby is born but need the certicate I get at 24 weeks!

Nicola said:
weeks to apply to join the cotton nappy scheme the local council run....£30 off my council tax bill (big deal when it's as expensive as it is) but I want the little packet of freebies that goes along with it!! :wink: I have can apply up to 8 weeks before baby is born but need the certicate I get at 24 weeks!

See I wouldn't have the first clue where to look for something like this, East Sussex County Council website had NOTHING on it about nappies :roll:

East Sussex Council Nappy Scheme:

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/environmen ... o/nappies/

Have a read though that, I'm sure it will lead to links for the cotton nappie scheme, West Sussex plug theirs like crazy and being that were neighbours I'm sure it's the same with the East too. Things like nappies are always under "Enviormnemt" rather than rubbish or recycling etc.

This is about local East Sussex (Brighton) schemes too:

http://www.nappies.org/

I think you can get to that via the council website though, it's the Real Nappy campaign and I'm sure I read that on there too!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back