Everything is soooo different this time around!

Bexybun

Reaction score
(I would like to say, if this comes across as a moan, I promise you it's not. Just my musings on how strange second pregnancy is to me. :))

I'm a little confused. Having already had my daughter (Amelia, 4, currently strutting around in full witch costume because "I just am being a witch today, mummy, ok?"), I thought any future pregnancies would be a total breeze. I mean, the scariest part about having your first is the unknown, right? So from baby number two onwards, you're much more prepared, right? Wrong.

I am so naive. It's completely different. And even if it wasn't, I've forgotten half of the stuff I learned the first time round anyway.

One thing that is completely different now is the doctor's part in early pregnancy (although this is also may be down to where I now live). When I suspected I was pregnant with Amelia, I went straight to the docs who did urine and blood tests to confirm. I had a 9 week dating scan, then the 12 week routine scan.
This time around- apparently my docs no longer do tests. And no dating scans. And my 12-week is scheduled for 14 weeks. All in all, even though I've done two positive tests, I've been left with a terrifying thought that I may have made all the symptoms up in my head, and nightmares that I turn up at the scan to be told I'm not pregnant at all, it's just wind or something. :shakehead:

This time around, I also have IBS. Yay. Severe stomach cramps are a sure-fire way of convincing yourself there's something wrong 24-7. :shock:

On the pregnancy side of things, I did have the common symptoms the first time round, but nothing like this.
The sickness is shocking, the boob pain makes me want to snarl at anyone who comes within 5 feet of my chest, but the oddest, the most confusing symptom I have ever come across - the one that, when people told me about it previously, I laughed and called them crazy - I am of course talking about the Rouge Sense of Smell.

I can smell EVERYTHING. Even stuff that's not there. Hell, especially stuff that's not there. But even if I try to cover up that horrid smell, it's completely pointless because a perfectly nice room spray that I loved 10 weeks ago now smells awful to me. Meal preparations are some tense times in this household at the moment, with me standing over whatever my wayward nostrils have decided is the offending item, shouting to himself "Himself! Dinner's cancelled! The chicken's off."
He comes in and smells. "It's fine."
"How can you say that?! It stinks! It's obviously rotten. We need to go shopping."
He gives me 'the look', the one he's been giving me ever since the smell tests started. "Bex, I promise you, it's fine. Just like the steak was fine. And the salmon. And the milk. Now please, for the love of god, stop smelling the food!"

Hmphf. Roll on Tri 2, that's what I say.
Bex xxx

Oh you sound just like me! I could have written this apart from my daughter is 14 and not 4 and currently parading around in her latest outfit to wear tonight to a View concert!

I don't get to see midwife or have a scan till 13 weeks but we went for a private one last week, partly to set my mind at rest that my 7 tests were right and the symptoms were real a partly cos my hubby works away lot so will miss our scan.

The nasty nausea and smell thing has been driving me mad I'm even convinced I can smell my hubby smoking outside with the door shut!

I also have IBS which I didn't have before but it's making me constipated which isn't very comfortable. This this the weight is falling off me and last time I ballooned straight away from the none stop pigging out!

Funny how things can be so different, maybe we are having boys!

Hahaa you sound exactly how I was! My daughters 4 too and even though the doctor bits the same, the pregnancy wasn't! Both times I had horrid morning sickness but 2nd time I could also smell everything, I couldn't even turn the oven on without throwing up and the air freshner made me heave! Unfortantly my sickness didn't pass until I was 23 weeks so my daughter survived on sandwiches as that was the only thing I could prepare without feeling bad!
Hope your sickness passes soon x.

I'm so happy people know how this feels! Sarah, isn't IBS just crap? I hate having it, it's such a pointless illness. But what kind of private scan did you have? That sounds interesting, I didn't know you could get them.

LM, I'm with you on the sandwiches! Or soup, I can just about handle tomato soup. The worst is when I decide I really really want, say, spag bol, go through the whole rigmarole of cooking it, sit down to eat it, and... yuck. I get one wiff, and I don't want it anymore. It's not even that it makes me sick, I've just totally gone off it.

I just googled baby scans in our area and a few places came up. We got a basic package that lasted about 30 mins with a DVD and photos for £55, plan on having another one with the 4d part later on in pregnancy they cost more though.

Know what you mean about the oven smell, yuck! And the times I've prepared something I wanted then it's turned my stomach once it's cooked! I've been living on fruit and salads just lately no cooking! Least my daughter can cook herself something she just has to make sure the kitchen door is totally shut!

Oooh, now I want one, lol! Wonder if I can convince himself to cough up £50. Unlikely.

Yeah, at least I seem to really be enjoying 'fresh' smelling food - fruit, salad, etc - but anytime I go in the kitchen I'm convinced it stinks- the fridge, the washing, the sink. Bleaurgh.

Oh yeah the fridge, I hold my breath! Putting washing on is horrible too! My dog keeps getting bathed and her bed sprayed in frebreeze, although hate the smell of that too but better than stinky dog!

hate the smell of that too but better than stinky dog!

Lolz!
Yeah, kind of glad we don't have any pets atm, I can barely handle the smells that come from my daughter! Cute but stinky! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back