essentials for baby

claire2711

Reaction score
hey gals!!

dunno if any of you are like this, but i tend to make lists of things so its organised in my head. Ive got a few things, but still need more before we are ready for baby's arrival!

feel free to add...... :think: methinks we could compile some kind of "superlist" of essentials for when babys born? someones prob done this in here already but my stupid preggo brain couldnt see it!! :| x x x x

Muslins - for a variety of purposes - mostly mopping up what comes out of LO in the wrong place! Some folk just like to use rags or flannels but I love my muslins and probably have more than 20!

Cotton wool - my LO is very sensitive to wipes so it's cotton wool and water for us. I find it much cheaper as I buy those big rolls of it.

A variety of cheap vests/sleepsuits - long sleeve, short sleeve, no sleeve etc. Becky practically lives in sleepsuits when it's not so warm. It's nice to have a few cute outfits but all-in-ones are more practical.

A sling or front carrier - if bub is having a grizzly day you can carry them around and still have your hands free.

some kind of natural oil , whoever said soft as a baby is lieing , weve had dry skin from about a week old , i now use grapseed oil , find it next to olive/cooking oil and its about 80p for a litre !

muslins and bibs , u cant have too many !

sleepsuits, vests , romper suits for summer , cant have enough either ! i think i ahve about 15 vest and sleepsuits in each size ive gone through already !

clothes ( i like sleepsuits as pj's and clothes for daytime i like him to be able to tell diff and its easier to change a tshirt if his been sick ! )

grobag / sleeping bag ! brilliant and wouldnt be without , he kicked off sheets or would slip under them :shock:

mircowave sterisler , brill even if bf for dummies / breast pump etc

dig ear thermometer , leland hated the forehead one !

cot mobile , wish id got it earlier ,he loves it !

:think: cant think what else lol

so far i have found very little is essential....
i didnt get on with cotton wool as it left strands on her so i use kitchen towel if she needs a quick wipe

....i havent used bibs or muslins but then Anjali is rarely sick....

i havent used any products on her, even though her skin was dry for a couple of weeks it sorted itself out

again because she's not messy i dont need many clothes, she could wear the same sleepsuit for days if i didnt change her!

what is essential for me:

a front carrier sling for out and about (i bought a freedom sling too but didnt get on with that one)

nappies and babywipes

a bouncer chair was a good buy for us

and a monitor mat , the kind that registers movement while they sleep

ditto cheap vests and sleepsuits (asda and tesco are good value), sling, muslin squares and grobags. getting through tons of wipes too!

we spent £80 on a movement sensor monitor but it hasnt been used yet cos logan hates his moses basket and sleeps in my bed :wall: :wall:
we had one for james though and used it for 6 months cos he loved his moses basket and cot, all babies are different :)

I brought lots of newborn size vests, baby grows etc for the hospital but when he was born they swamped him! it might be worth buying some cheap vests etc (tesco or asda) in tiny baby size for the first couple weeks (unless you no your having a big baby!)

Soooo my list would be....

several packs of the cheap white value vests and sleep suits

A couple outfits (wouldnt spend loads on clothes they wont fit within weeks)

Socks - again you can buy cheap white towell socks from asda/tesco theyre great coz they dont slip off so easily, they also sell them in boots

Mits - I only used them for the first couple weeks so one pair will be fine

Bibs/ muslin cloth (again from asda or tesco just buy the cheap ones)

Newborn pack of nappies

Cotton wool pleats for wiping bum bum! wipes WILL give your newborn bad nappy rash.

Sudocrem just incase they do get nappy rash

baby oil (take this to hospital with you coz they do go all flakey after birth)

I wouldnt bother with a baby bath, i use to wash ky in the sink when he was tiny!

i didnt use any products in the bath when he was little just dried his skin more

Pushchair with a carrier seat/rain cover - id get an umbrella to boots are prob the best my son throws a fit if the son goes in his eyes!

um id maybe leave the toys for a couple weeks then when you notice your LO looking around more id invest in a mobile.

Bouncer chairs are great id def recommend one

Moses basket my son stil sleeps in his.

several moses basket sheets - i usually have to change my sons every day coz he manages to throw up in his bed from wriggling too much! from matalan (sp?)

couple fleece blankets although its warm now and i dont use them as much i think a newborn might still need one to cover their lower half in the night. I also like them if my sons being difficult and wont sleep i usually wrap him tight in a blanket and he'll go straight off. i take it off him when hes alseep then.

ooo might be worth getting some baby sun cream if this weather keeps up :pray:

Think thats everything! Um i wasnt sure if your breast feeding or not? Ob theres a bit more if your bottle feeding

Have fun baby shopping! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back