Epidurals - who has had one................

Shaz

Reaction score
How how much do they actually hurt when they are being done?

We had our antenatal "pain relief in labour" chat this morning and there was an (albeit old) video film of a woman getting an epidural about 10 years ago. I know they are more advanced now but she was making an awful fuss about it!

I'm not great with needles - I can just about take the blood tests and all the other bits and pieces that us preggers ladies get jabbed with, but the thought of it going into my spine fills me with dread - so much to the point that I think the fear of that is overriding EVERYTHING else I think about the birth.

So - to those ladies who have had them - what are they really like??

Going to post this on the "Third Trimester site as well........

Mine didnt hurt at all! the place it goes into is a bundle of nerves but no nerve endings which you need to feel pain so you dont feel it at all. so it really shouldnt hurt other than the initial breaking of the skin.

he said you'll feel a scratch and it was like someone scratching your skin with a pin not actually like an injection at all.

all my blood tests etc hurt way more and the drip thing (venflon?) was def worst!

i wouldnt hestitate to have it again :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Em - that's good to know. I had a drip in my hand last year when I had an operation on my eye and that was a total killer! I was begging them to take it out but they wouldn't until I'd been discharged.

Honestly? An epidural wont hurt half as much as labour and if your really that scared just have a good suck on gas and air whilst they r injecting you, well worth having one, i didnt want one but after 11 hrs of agony and not getting anywhere i gave in, you'll still feel the pressure but no contractions

I asked for an epidural at 10pm....but the anaesthatist was busy until midnight. By that time I was DESPERATE. The epudiral was a relief! It honestly didn't hurt more than any other injection.

Hiya

I didn't have an epidural, i had a spinal which is the same things but works straight away for emergencies, if i'm totally honest, i didn't even feel the needle go in, this could be because i was having bad contractions at the same time though!! But honest, once its in, the relief is amazing, i'll be opting for epidural this time round!!

didnt hurt at all..

worse thing was i had to have a catheter in cause i was immobile after it, overnight and i bled quite heavily after the birth (not so much during) :doh:

i would recomend a epidural to every one.

i held out as long as i could, because the more top ups you have the longer you will be out of action for after.
i got to 6cm had the epidural i didnt feel a thing didnt even no he done it.
they told me it would take up to half hour to start working, but instantly i felt great i went from being in hurendous pain and screaming to sitting there watching the machine as it was the only way i knew i was contracting. i had heard that the epidural can slow labour but with in 2 hours i was ready to push i had a top up at 9cm. after giving birth i was wheeled up to the ward for 30mins i was numb then i was fine walking around.

i loved it loved it loved it
shame i couldnt have one second time rounds :evil:

For those who did have an epidural - did you find breast feeding an issue after or did you have trouble picking up your baby?

I have been talking to a few girls who did have problems and I was wondering how common this was.....

i didnt breast feed but your top half is fine your just sat up in bed thats all so wont effect you holding baby

The people I have spoken to said they had lots of trouble getting the baby out of the fish tank thing :oops: did you not find this was an issue Dionne?

no not atall.

but i was only bed bound for about 30mins and all that time i was holding Harley and my partner was there if i needed him.

my friend had a c-section so she had trouble with lifting baby and stuff. but i was fine with the epidurali could move about and i got from the wheelchair onto the bed. only thing i couldnt do was put presure on my legs as they were like jelly for half hour.

i didnt have a problem getting jakob out of the cot because its right next to the bed so you just turn yourself around into sitting on the side of the bed and pick up baby...

but i did find it abit hard to push myself up into sitting on the bed because my legs were just not working! lol

Oh well thats reassuring then! I have been a bit worried about this! Although I am not planning on having an epidural but you never know!!!

Thank you girls!
:lol:

ssorry but i cant lie......

i screamed and kicked and screamed and howled getting mine!!! mine was agony!!!

I didn't think it hurt but that was prob because I was on the gas and air at the time and I had had diamorphine. I would say def have one if you need it because it gets rid of the painful contractions totally. The only downside is that you can't get out of bed for a while afterwards which for me was about 3-4 hours as my legs were like jelly. I know not everyone does but I still had the use of my legs in labour and was able to get on my knees leaning over the back of the bed to push which was good. They say that you usually have to push longer aswell if you have an epidural but I was only pushing for half an hour.

By the way even if you do have a bit of trouble picking the baby up afterwards the nursing staff are there to help you. I had a bit of trouble but it was not to do with the epidural I was just so shattered I felt to weak too hold him properly.

getting the epi didnt hurt - it was a pain though because you have to keep stopping and starting with contractions.

it depends on the amount of anaesthetic used as to how long your immobile, mine wore off with Josh after about half an hour, i was a bit wobbly when i stood up but fine after that

Did anyone find that the epidural made them feel 'out of it' at all?? :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back