entertaining your newborn

prettypenguin

Reaction score
I feel like I am boring my LO :( he's 3 weeks old and starting to be a bit more awake during the day, I've got books and cds to sing along to, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could do with him? x

Cor you got to look at life through his eyes, he is understanding that those colours together mean 'home' and that there is an outside, he is learning what shapes are and colours are, understimulation is not something newborns suffer from, overstimulation is!

I used to hold jasper in the sling and walk around the house letting him look on shelves, or brush things against his face or let him feel different things.

i would take him to areas where there was alot of green because he could only see the green and then stand him in front of trees with alot of pink so he got a vibe for the different colours!

one of his favourite things to do now is to sit in a buggy at the front door and watch the traffic go past! he loves it!

Newborns like to stare at faces too. Just talking or singing closely to them is good. I pull faces and smile too. Like dragonfly fi says they don't like over stimulation at this age. Skin to skin contact is still very good for them, I also give gentle massage and deep baths so he can kick his legs about which he likes!

I wasgoing to suggest just talking and singing to him...newborn knows mummy's voice and smell but still need to match it to the face xx

When Lucas was that age I used to talk and sing to him and take him on lots of walks. He used to also love going on his playmat and kick his legs about and try and swipe at the toys. Any of the Lamaze toys he still loves now. xx

I've noticed Kayden has been a bit more awake & alert the last few days, he is able to copy the action of sticking tongue in & out which is really cute so he must be seeing a bit better. I've been singing to him & showing him some teddies & the rattle type things on his baby seat, he doesn't stay entertained for long though, & I walk about the house letting him look at different things & talking to him.

:)

I asked my HV this as my son always looked fedup and sad, but he said don't worry too much as they can't do much at young ages just keeping them company and talking to them is fine enough till they get older and letting them wiggle on a playmat etc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back