Enough milk?

Piglet's Mama

Reaction score
Brooke is 7 months on Sunday. She is pretty much established on 3 meals a day now and as such has dropped quite a bit of milk. Yesterday she had only 18oz & two of those ounces were in her morning porridge.

She is only taking 3oz at most feeds and is now dropping most of her 3-4pm feed. Should I be worried as I know that they get most of their nutrients from milk until 1 and I don't want her to miss out. Or is the fact she's having 3 little meals (B: porridge, L: veg & fruit D: meat & veg & yoghurt) putting me on the right track?

Would be good to hear what your LO's are having? Thanks x

Owens 8 months and only has 2 x 8oz bottles a day and 3oz milk in his brekkie . He has porridge or wheetabix type brekkie, toast or fruit and yoghurt for lunch an a meat/ veggie dinner x

Mum of Owen. Born 11/7/11 @ 19.17pm weighing 7lb 12 oz :)

Sounds fine too me hun tegan was having about the same then, by 10 months she was only have 1 6oz bottle a day xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Really? I was told that under 1 they should be having 500-600mls a day so that they would get enough nutrients and less than that they should be given vitamin drops?

My LO is 8 months and takes 25 oz a day plus 3 meals and snacks. But she is really active, always on the go, even in her sleep.

Really? I was told that under 1 they should be having 500-600mls a day so that they would get enough nutrients and less than that they should be given vitamin drops?

My LO is 8 months and takes 25 oz a day plus 3 meals and snacks. But she is really active, always on the go, even in her sleep.

Yeah this was my concern, my HV said 1 pint until a year old which is 21oz I think. Hmmmm, who knows? She is a very very happy girl and is obviously not hungry for it, I just don't want her to go without it, if it is considered necessary over food at this stage x

i priotise milk over food if you know what i mean but i guess you can't force her to eat or drink!

i have no idea if that is the right thing to do but am just a bit worried she gets enough vit d, iron etc and i don't think my lo would eat enough to get it from food alone!

Poppy still has around three 8oz bottles a day, but then she's not actually eating a great deal yet. I offer her three meals a day and she rarely eats a full bowl of what I give her, so I'm just letting her be the judge and building her up slowly. The book I have says if they're taking under 18oz a day before 1, they need vitamin drops, so may be worth asking your HV if Brooke drops any more milk feeds xx

*EDIT* From the NHS website:

Breastfed children should be given a daily vitamin D supplement from six months of age. Infant formula has vitamins and minerals added to it. However, children who are given infant formula should be given a daily vitamin D supplement if they're having less than 500ml (a pint) a day. All children should continue to receive the vitamin D supplement until the age of five.

Last edited:
Poppy still has around three 8oz bottles a day, but then she's not actually eating a great deal yet. I offer her three meals a day and she rarely eats a full bowl of what I give her, so I'm just letting her be the judge and building her up slowly. The book I have says if they're taking under 18oz a day before 1, they need vitamin drops, so may be worth asking your HV if Brooke drops any more milk feeds xx

*EDIT* From the NHS website:

Breastfed children should be given a daily vitamin D supplement from six months of age. Infant formula has vitamins and minerals added to it. However, children who are given infant formula should be given a daily vitamin D supplement if they're having less than 500ml (a pint) a day. All children should continue to receive the vitamin D supplement until the age of five.

Thanks love, she's had 190z the last 2 days but there was one day, Monday I think, where she had about 13oz. I said to my Mum about it and she said maybe she's just bored of milk...! I was like "she may well be but she bloody needs it!" I will see how we go over the next week and if it drops anymore I will go to HV. Today she had 3 feeds all day, one at 7am - 7oz (plus 2oz in her porridge), 4oz at 3.00pm and 5oz at 7.00pm. I made her a bottle at 11.00am but she wasn't interested and I had to throw away 5oz :roll: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back