engagement - 3/5th what does that mean???

Vera

Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone tell me what 3/5 or 4/5 engaged means. The midwife just wrote it down in my hospital notes and I am a bit confused now. don't really want to phone and bother her.... It was 4/5 a fortnight ago and now it is 3/5 - does that mean it is more or less engaged????

thanks
Vera (EDD-3)

I think it means it's more engaged.

As I understand it, they write down what they can feel, so last week she could feel 4/5 of the babys head. This week she can only feell 3/5 of the head, meaning another 5th has dropped down.

xx

Yes, that makes sense - thank you! I just wondered how the head could come up again :roll:
anyway - baby seems in the right position - so its just a question of waiting.......

Vera

You must be as fed up as me! I was convinced that baby was going to come early - now i'm two days over and still no sign :(

My notes from tuesday say 3 - 4/5. Apparently I'm partly effaced but not dialted at all, so the midwife reckons it could be a little while yet...they will wait 12 days before they induce me :shock:

She did a stretch and sweep and booked me in for another on Monday, so doesn;t look like it's going to be really soon.

How about you, have they talked about how long they'll wait?

Have you had any labout symptoms or anything yet? I had a show nearly three weeks ago and got dead excited, but that's about it.

Hi Blossom.

seems we're sitting in the same boat... I really have no idea at all when the baby is going to come. no show, 3/5th "engaged", at least right position - but its been like this for ages... and ok my due date has even been yet - but I can't wait anyway.... I have got a hospital appointment next Thu which will be EDD+5 - I reckon they will offer me a sweep then and probably discuss induction :( my midwife said something about 12-14 days... but I have planned to try a couple of things tomorrow: hot curry, bath, s*x etc. see if it helps.... about 10 days ago I thought it was gonna start - cramps in my tummy at night - turned out to be just an upset stomache...

so I hope you don't have to wait that much longer... and everything goes well, fingers cross the sweep is going to help... all the best

Vera

Good luck to you as well - it's your due date today :D Has anything happened yet? Any twinges or pains?

sadly I'm still waiting!

Hi Ladies,

i was just noseying in this section to see what was going on.

i can sympathise with you, i am only 14 weeks at the moment, but i went 10 days over due with my first and they induced me then cos of high blood pressure!
it all a waiting game, they did a membrane sweep on me- let me say i would rather be in labour!! mind you she did have big hands!! Lol

Any way good luck ladies and let us know as soon as something happens

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know my baby was stationed at -1 on Friday. She needs to be at 0 to be engaged. So her head is still floating a little. She's being a stubborn little thing! I can't wait to finally hold her!

They measure you in fifths as to how far down the baby's head is at the time of examination. It can however go backwards and forwards to it may be 4/5 one week and then 2/5 the next!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back