Early scans

Cat&Noah

Reaction score
Hi just a quick question for those of you who have had scans prior to the usual 12 week one. For what reasons other than if you had had bleeding or pains did you get the scan?
Its just I was wondering if because I got PG after miscarrying and havent had a period since, if I might get a scan so they can get some idea of how far along I am. (I know cause I charted but I dont want to tell them that if it means I can get an early scan)

I have my first appiontment with my doctor on Tuesday to get the ball rolling, so I thought I might not till him I was charting and dont know how far along I am, in the hope he will send me for a scan. Has this happened to any of you, or do they just date you from the miscarrage and scan you at 12 weeks from then?

i had 2 ary m/c so they said next time i was pregnant they would give me a scan asap. a few months later i was preg again i called the early m/c unit at my hospital and told them i was 5weeks preg, they called me in a week later for a 6week scan then at 8weeks to give mr reasurence

I told mine that my sister was getting married and I would love a picture to take with me, I think I must have a nice midwifey type person!!!

Cat&Noah said:
Hi just a quick question for those of you who have had scans prior to the usual 12 week one. For what reasons other than if you had had bleeding or pains did you get the scan?
Its just I was wondering if because I got PG after miscarrying and havent had a period since, if I might get a scan so they can get some idea of how far along I am. (I know cause I charted but I dont want to tell them that if it means I can get an early scan)

I have my first appiontment with my doctor on Tuesday to get the ball rolling, so I thought I might not till him I was charting and dont know how far along I am, in the hope he will send me for a scan. Has this happened to any of you, or do they just date you from the miscarrage and scan you at 12 weeks from then?

I did that exact thing!!! I had my LMP 29th may, and charted so i know how far gone i am, got my early scan and they saw fluid and kept me in for 3 days!! They said it could be nothing and im now worried for nothing lol!! Sometimes its best to wait it out honey! I wish i did! All u will see on ur scan (internal) Will be a sac and a yolk. no bubs and no heartbeat which is such a downer and can be scary somewtimes. I wish i had waited tbh!! I suggest waiting. I kow how eager u can be but try and put it off for at least a week hun, til u will c a HB and baby! At 6w4d with Jaycee i saw a flicker of a HB and hardly a baby...
Just dont get worried for nothing!

hi hun i had to have early scan as they wouldnt start my injections till they saw a viable heartbeat on a scan i was 6 wks 2 days and we seen a heartbeat it was lovely and very reassuring also they say the risk of misscarriage drops dramatically once youve seen a heartbeat :D
if you want one early make out youve not had a period for last 3 months and are not sure how far along you would be they will rush you in for a dating scan and you will get to see babba :D xxxxxxxxx

I know what you mean Jo, I i think really early scans can be more worrying then they are worth, but my Dr appiontment isnt till tomorrow when I will according to my chart be 7w 4d, so if they booked me for a scan to work out how far I am I will prob already be at least 7 weeks so a scan should show a reasonable amount.

I guess like rach I just want to see it has a heatbeat, which at that stage if its going to be viable it will have one. Just dont know if they will let me, or will just make me wait till its 12 weeks from MC date.

i had early scan cos of a lot of pain i was in hadscan at 6 7 weeks.

A friend of mine has just fallen pregnant shes nearly 6 weeks now and she has been told she will not recive a 12 weeks scan??? :?

i find that weird but that is what she reckons?

she will not get a scan till 19 weeks?????

sophie27 said:
i had early scan cos of a lot of pain i was in hadscan at 6 7 weeks.

A friend of mine has just fallen pregnant shes nearly 6 weeks now and she has been told she will not recive a 12 weeks scan??? :?

i find that weird but that is what she reckons?

she will not get a scan till 19 weeks?????

Has she not had any scans at all yet, cause that seems very wrong, they need to do a scan before 16weeks to date the pregnancy, after that the measurments are not reliable enough, so dating is normally done between 10 and 16 weeks (typiclly at the 12week point)

well thats what i have said i find it very hard to belive she isnt going to get one, but she is certain that her mw told her that????

cos she is gutted, i dunno if she has picked up something else they were telling her!!! these hormones are awful things :rotfl:

some areas in britain still do not offer a 12 week scan wrong i know but they dont a lot of women out there have to wait till 18-20 wks :( xxx

Yes, when I got PG in April I was told the first scan would be at 18 weeks which amazed me, because 11 years ago they were doing first scans at 12 weeks. Obviously they've been doing a bit of cutting back around here over the last few years :think:

Good luck at the docs tomorrow Cat, I hope they get you sent over for an early scan.

good luck at the docs tomorrow Cat- we can compare notes later! :cheer:

Good luck today Cat :cheer:

BTW my friend in Bristol only got a 20 week scan, which actually happened when she was around 22 weeks. She said the antenatal care where she is is really rubbish :(

I got my dating scan early (yesturday) and I was 8 weeks 3 days when I got it, I was actually unsure of my dates as couldnt remember when my last period was as Id forgotted to write it down. I told my Dr this, and she said ''well I will put it as the later so you will be approx 5 weeks now'' (that was when I first went for my appointment) and she just said ''you will receive a letter at some poiht for your first scan which is your dating scan, and your midwife will be intouch. So far no word from the midwife, but I got my letter last week to go yesturday!!

So just do what I did and hope your Dr just refers you!

Cat&Noah said:
I know what you mean Jo, I i think really early scans can be more worrying then they are worth, but my Dr appiontment isnt till tomorrow when I will according to my chart be 7w 4d, so if they booked me for a scan to work out how far I am I will prob already be at least 7 weeks so a scan should show a reasonable amount.

I guess like rach I just want to see it has a heatbeat, which at that stage if its going to be viable it will have one. Just dont know if they will let me, or will just make me wait till its 12 weeks from MC date.

Yeah that sounds good hun, 7w is a good date to see a good HB and bubs.
I just didnt want u 2 go thru what i did! Was awful! Ive got my next one friday at 2.10, Sami has one too but i dont know the time..
Hopefully they will see a HB and bubs developing on mine.. they barely saw the yolk on fri.. :pray:

I hope u get to see bubs hun, xxxx

Right well I had my Doc appointment with my yummy doctor (looks just like Robson Green) he said straight away that I will need a dating scan, he isnt sure how long it will be cause he is having to book it through the N&N hospital cause Im moving house. But will prob be in a week or so' time by then I will be 7-8 weeks, so that will be perfect. Just hoping they will be able to do it before I go on holiday. Plus I have my midwife booking in appointment made!

Cat&Noah said:
Right well I had my Doc appointment with my yummy doctor (looks just like Robson Green) he said straight away that I will need a dating scan, he isnt sure how long it will be cause he is having to book it through the N&N hospital cause Im moving house. But will prob be in a week or so' time by then I will be 7-8 weeks, so that will be perfect. Just hoping they will be able to do it before I go on holiday. Plus I have my midwife booking in appointment made!

Thats cool, hope it comes through soon!!

Wicked hun! Well done!...cute doc eh?.....whats his address? :twisted: :twisted:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

excellent Cat :cheer:

what did you say about date?- did you pretend you were quite unsure?- I am off this afternoon to mine and not sure how much to tell them about charting??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back