Early Pregnancy Scans

CoreysMummy

Reaction score
How Many of you/us (lol) had early pregnancy scans...?

I had two with Corey, I didnt know how far along I was, and was such a mess that the Dr wanted to know how far along I was so he knew how long I had to decide what I wanted to do etc.

My 1st one there was a sac, looked fine, in the right place etc, went back exactly two weeks later, and there was Corey, heart beating away 7+2 I was then. I waited a further 2-3 weeks I think before I started to tell people slowly... and we didnt even tell our parents till about a week after the 2nd scan.

next time I get pregnant, I guess im not going to get this luxuary. So will be paying for a scan at 8 weeks. How many of you have had scans early? OR is it really a waste of £100quid, and I should just wait til 12 weeks....?

Depends if you have the money to do it or not hun. I have had early scans in both pregnancies (private) as I just couldnt wait until 12 weeks :hug:

We didn't have an early one as such. We had a private Nuchal scan and bloods when I was 11+3. And then I cancelled our NHS dating scan the week after.

TBH I didn't want an early scan when I had some bleeding in first tri and declined it. I figured if anything was going to happen it would happen and no amount of scans would change that. I waited the few days after the bleeding and had no more, felt fine and carried on as normal.

I'd opt for another NT scan between 11-13 weeks next time and pay for it as it gives me peace of mind and I won't worry about other tests later on (amnio etc). But I won't pay privately for early scans before 11 weeks.

when i was pregnant with millie my first scan was my dating scan- and as i had to change doctors (i'd left home 3 years previously but never bothered to switch docs!) i was late getting it- i was 14+5 by LMP! (altho they did put me back to 13+2 at the scan)

next time i hope to get an early "reassurance" scan because of my miscarriage in november- would they do that for me on NHS? (sorry to hijack the thread!)

i wouldnt pay for one. if i had the spare money i'd rather spend it on baby stuff!

trixipaws said:
next time i hope to get an early "reassurance" scan because of my miscarriage in november- would they do that for me on NHS? (sorry to hijack the thread!)

I guess they would. But I'd not bank on it.

i had a scan at 9 weeks after bleeding but i then didnt have a dating scan at 12 weeks , i booked a private sexing scan at 16 weeks tho and that was the best scan i had .

I had one at about 5 weeks and another at 7 at the EPAU due to bleeding.

i had one at 6 weeks+3days at the hospital EPU i phoned saying i was concerned and something didn't feel right and i was gotten in that day and scanned

I had one at 5wks4 to check for sac and 6wks to see heartbeat due to pain in my right side I was concerned was ectopic - amzing to see how in 3 days my round sac had turned into a bean that was blinky at me which was the heart beat awesome.

I would love an early one when I get pregnant next, but doubt I will be able to.

Does it cost alot for the early one privately? I am a terrible worrier so might be worth while

I was given an early scan at 7 weeks due to me fretting having lost 2 before, it was very reassuring, i then had a private scan at 9-10 weeks when i had a small bleed which again was very reassuring

I was scheduled for an early scan at 8w, but ended up having one at 7 as well because of severe bleeding.

The reason for the scheduled one was that I'd just had a complicated m/c (two failed D&Cs at 12w & 14w, then natural m/c) and no period between. So they wanted to check on dates - and also whether all was ok, because of the 2 ops. The 7w one was obviously because of the bleeding, but also because they wanted to rule out the possibility that the bleeding was caused by further retained products - they were really concerned about that.

I don't think they automatically do early scans if you've had one previous m/c (at least, not here) - I was told I was getting it because my LMP was 5 months before! But it's worth asking.

I wouldn't pay for a scan in future pregnancies, and I didn't really like the idea of having 2 scans so close together, but because of the recent history, I was told it was my health they were concerned about and they needed to monitor me.

trixipaws said:

I had a MC in 2007 which showed up when I had my scan at 13 weeks and I wasn't offered any kind of reassurance scan when I got pregnant with Farooq 6months later :shakehead:
I was basically told if I had no bleeding or other signs of MC before my 11 week scan (which was booked almost bang on 11 weeks :wink: ) then to forget it on the NHS. I didn't go private because I couldn't afford it :(

I might try pushing it again next time I get pregnant as we'll have moved to a different borough but I wont hold my breath :talkhand:

My 12 week scan was actually the 5th scan I'd had :shock: . I'd had IUI fertility treatment so I had 6 week to check if things were ok. Then I had very heavy bleeding and when got scanned also showed enlarged ovaries (they were HOOOGE like oranges and painful) which had to be monitered so when I had them looked at they checked on baby at the same time :D .

i paid for a scan at 12 weeks as the nhs one wasnt scheduled until i was over 15 weeks, despite 2 miscarriages and an ectopic, makes you proud to be british eh?

I had a scan at 7 weeks because I had some bleeding. for me it was amazing because there was the tiniest little heart beating and because I hadn't got any symptoms whatsoever it really confirmed for me that I was really pregnant. We'd been trying for ages and ages to get pregnant so it was nice to see the baby.

I don't think I'd bother with another one because there wasn't really anything to see......she just looked like a kidney bean so I don't think I'd bother getting one next time around unless I needed one

I had one a 6 weeks and one at 8 weeks. At 6 weeks I had a brown discharge and at 8 weeks I had a proper bright red bleed (which turned out to be a hormonal bleed as it was when my period would have been due).

I did have a private one booked for 9 weeks for reassurance but cancelled it after I had to have the NHS early scan.

I would definiately pay to have a viability scan next though - so reassuring.

L x

I had one at 4 weeks and saw nothing, one at 5 weeks which was when we saw the sac then another at 7 which is when we saw the heartbeat then we went on to have our scan at 12 weeks :eek:) xx

I had early scans at 6, 8 and 9 weeks because of bleeding.

I had my first scan at 12 weeks but if I was able to afford an early private scan I would have definatly had one just to put my mind at rest!

We had a scan this time at 6w6d because we've had 7 miscarriages and this time i'd made the consultant promise they'd keep a close eye on us and i'd been seeing the consultant since 4w6d. We've got another one next week as a reassurance thing I think as we've never (except for this time) made it past 6 weeks, but when i first saw them they got me on baby asprin, and hopefully thats whats helping.
(my scan is in the 1st tri scan bit, its a twiglet but the heart is so clear in the picture its bizarre!)
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back