Dyeing your hair during 1st trimester - is it ok?

minxie

Reaction score
I was reading the TTC forum and one thread mentioned that it may not be safe to dye your hair when pg.

Im nearly 5 weeks gone and was going to due my hair on Tuesday ...now Im thinking twice!

Does anyone have any info/opinions/advise on this issuue? Or is it one to ask my doctor?

there are lots of different view points- no one really agrees- I would either ask your hairdresser if you mget it done there or ring up the manufacturers if you do it at home

I am getting highlights done in a couple of weeks- they aren't supposed to be as bad as they don't touch your skin so much

From what I've read, the main problem with dyeing your hair during pregnancy (as long as you don't use ones with dodgy chemicals) is that your hair may well be very different during this time. In other words, you could end up looking terrible because your hair is also changing.

Personally, I'd avoid it though. I don't like chemicals near me at the best of times and right now, I think just the smell alone would make me feel ill, never mind any possible damage it might do.

I tried not dyeing my hair but couldn't have kept it up for long- I have lots of premature grey, so would look like a badgery minger if I didn't do it. I would feel like a frump. Vain I know :lol:

If it helps i have coloured my hair at home amnd hairdressers all the way through my last pregnancy and this one and had no problems. I just try to use a gentle one as my sc alp cant cope with the really smelly hair dyes, there a bit too strong.

I had my hair coloured at around the 5 week mark - I am too grey not to. I read a research paper that had been published that said that they had given pregnant mice doses of chemicals from hair dye at doses 100 times those you would manage to absorb through your scalp when your hair is dyes and there were NO problems.

This was enough to make me happy but I note lots of people opt for something less toxic like gentle highlights instead.

Unfortunately if a person has grey roots it really seems a necessity, but the semi-permanent dye isn't as harsh on your hair, and probably isn't as noxious :)

Hi just read ur post, i done a 3 year course ta collage, we had loads of written work on dying hair during pregnancy it is completely safe.

The only thing is your hair will not dye the same as what it would if you were not pregnant, this is due to all the pigaments in your hair, not geting nourished as much as it would.

Your hair also will get greasy quicker due to pregnancy and can fall out alot.

I dyed my hair the day after i found out i was pregnant because i was blonde and i'm naturaly dark and didnt want huge roots i only done this because it is not safe to use peroxide on the scalp when pregnant.
It opens your pours,
as long as you use a bottled dye you should be fine.
Peroxide opens your pours and can gt into your bloody stream....NOT GOOD!!

Good luck hope that helps
xx

Thanks for the really helpful replies. I will be dyeing it today....too much grey is coming through!

FoxyMummy said:
Hi just read ur post, i done a 3 year course ta collage, we had loads of written work on dying hair during pregnancy it is completely safe.

The only thing is your hair will not dye the same as what it would if you were not pregnant, this is due to all the pigaments in your hair, not geting nourished as much as it would.

Your hair also will get greasy quicker due to pregnancy and can fall out alot.

I dyed my hair the day after i found out i was pregnant because i was blonde and i'm naturaly dark and didnt want huge roots i only done this because it is not safe to use peroxide on the scalp when pregnant.
It opens your pours,
as long as you use a bottled dye you should be fine.
Peroxide opens your pours and can gt into your bloody stream....NOT GOOD!!

Good luck hope that helps
xx

:shock: :shock: I had mine "bleached" - would that be peroxide? :shock: :shock:

Moomum said:
:shock: :shock: I had mine "bleached" - would that be peroxide? :shock: :shock:

More than likely, as long as it didnt touch the scalp there is nothing to worry about! xx

I have found in thos pregnancy colouring my hair is a nessity because it looks so dull and lifeless compared to last time, it needs the colour to make it rich again.

I wanted to dye mine too but didn't as had heard it wasn't a bad idea. I think it's because the chemicals can supposedly sink through your scalp skin and into your bloodstream, and then babys bloodstream.

I heard that vegetable/organic dyes are ok and I believe these are in Holland and Barrett and probably some other health type places. I know Adele another forum user has dyed her hair in both her pregnancys and been ok.

michelle x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back