DVD's for babies

cloud9

Reaction score
Dylan loves watching tv more than anything else i have bought him a brilliant babies DVD which he loves . I also want to buy him a nursery Rhmye one.

What have you babies liked and what would you recomend?

toys r us have a good selection, hannah has got balamory, dora and barney

I hate to say this, but I've read that children under the age of three shouldn't be watching any TV as it affects their brain development.
(cf Remotely controlled, by Dr Aric Sigman).

all i can say is it hasnt done my 15 year old any harm

Ah I dont believe that, my Isabella watches telly and I think it has helped her developed her vocal & listening skills.

We are a fan of BABY TV.

I hate to say this, but I've read that children under the age of three shouldn't be watching any TV as it affects their brain development.
(cf Remotely controlled, by Dr Aric Sigman).

Dylan watches the TV wether its turned on or off... I never bought any DVD's for him before he was born as i didn't want him sitting all day watching tv but he is more intrested in it than his toys ..I still think its balance don't let him watch tv all day but if he enjoys it why not... both my HV and GP i have mentioned how much he loves TV neither seemed concerned

I have to say I agree, it's been well researched and documented that babies shouldn't be watching television under the age of three and the longer you can keep it away from them the better they develop. I think programmes and DVD's designed with babies and very young children in mind are dreadful especially when there are so many other things and ways you can entertain a child - it's harder work for the parents but believe the long term benefits far outweight using the TV.

I must say I am surprised there are DVDs/ TV aimed at babies too... but then I hardly ever watch TV myself as I would rather do something more interesting, so guess I am not exactly the target market! Surely it cannot be good for their eyes etc...?

Do you think we are all becomin a little over the top??????

Dont do this, dont do that.

I was exactly like the last two posters before my darling Isabella was born. I really cant see that a baby/toddler watching telly is so bad. They do not have the attention span to watch it for hours & hours or even 2 minutes.

Sorry for the rant :D :D

mary70 said:
toys r us have a good selection, hannah has got balamory, dora and barney

just wanted to say hello TOMMY!

Alana doesnt have any dvd's shes never been one for tv. But ive seen good selections in Mothercare.

Jake has Baby Beethovan and Baby Mozart DVD's (Baby Einstein range). He loves them and is mesmerised for the half an hour they are on. He has loved watching them from 3 months old and I would recommend them. I bought mine second hand from e bay but they were in good condition. Baby Einstein have lots of DVD's but the two I have got are the best for younger babies. I don't put Jake in front of the TV all of the time but I don't see the problem with them watching it for half an hour every now and again so you can get on with the housework.

Some television in small doses is fine for young children in my opinion. Obviously I don't advocate dumping your baby in front of the box for hours at a time, but a short burst can be enjoyable for them and a much needed window of opportunity for you to get on with your endless daily jobs. Speaking as an experienced Early Years professional, CBeebies show some really good programmes and the Baby Einstein DVDs are worthwhile too. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back