• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dummy or no dummy??

Dee83

Reaction score
R u planning on giving your baby a dummy? I'm a bit torn. My OH wasn't given a dummy when he was a baby and ended up being a thumb sucker - obviously his mum couldn't wean him off his thumb and he ended up sucking it till he was about 7! Not sure what to do for the best really! xxx

I've bought two but not going to give them to Freya until I know I can't settle her without them.

xx

I said no way is my Lo having a dummy but gave in and give him one but he didn't want it till about 4 months old at which stage he started sleeping through when I gave him it. I was worried about thumb sucking too I know a 26 year old that still does it.

It depends on the baby too my little brother loved his, my sister didn't want to know.

Hmm it's a tricky one. I myt just get a couple for now then and see what i think when he's here!

A baby will honestly do whatever it wants lol. If they were meant to be a thumbsucker, theres no stopping them or if theyre going to be a crazy dummer baby, then so be it. Other babies refuse both and are just happy without, or not so happy with any of the options above lol.

I desperatly didn't want to use a dummy with my LO but she had really bad colic and it soothed her so so much. Can't get rid of it now though :wall:

i didn't want to use one but the other day read that early on it is safer to give a baby a dummy in their basket/cot - feel silly coz i can't remember why! i'm going to look into it more and if its safer i'm going to do so until he moves to his cot or is 6 months plus x

Apparently dummies stop the baby going into a full on deep sleep (probably because theyre still concentrating on sucking) which can help stop the cause of SIDS. This doesn't mean those who don't give their babies dummies are not being aware of causes, it just means that this COULD reduce the risk. SIDS is pretty much random and so very unfortunate :(

I dont plan to use one. Me and hubbie never had one mainly as we would spit them out!! Neither of us are thumb suckers so dont think it is related!!
xxxx

I guess it all depends on the baby...my sisters baby has never had a dummy, was breastfed and sucks him thumb?? Guess if they are going to suck their thumb theres nothing you can do really xx

Matthew had one! But he refused it from 4 months and hasnt had one since!
XxX

I think I'll get one, but will see how it goes and then decide whether or not to use it. My Mum had terrible trouble taking a dummy away from my brother and when she did he sucked the leg of a rubber dangermouse lol. She didn't give me one as a result, but I sucked my thumb up until the age of about 11!:whistle:

xxx

Emily has used dummies but she's a thumb sucker, its so cute and it really doesn't bother me :)

Really does depend on the baby!

Ive read the SIDS thing as well - that using a dummy MAY be helpful, and cos DH's sister died from this im a bit paranoid - so will definitely be aiming for using a dummy.

That said there are plenty of babies who just wont entertain the idea.

xxx

My Mum had terrible trouble taking a dummy away from my brother and when she did he sucked the leg of a rubber dangermouse lol

This made me chuckle. Paige loves her dummy more than anything but I usually only give it to her when shes going to sleep BUT during the day she literally finds ANYTHING to suck on. Especially wooden things :/ Im dreading the day she has to give me the dummies :shock:

I didn't plan on using a dummy but got them just in case. Turns out like August mum that Drake had colic and a dummy was a godsend! He loves his dummy though, more so than my other boys. My eldest had a dormel and wasn't really bothered about it (only really used it to put a bit of gripe water in) and my middle boy had a dummy which he self weaned himself off by the age of 12 months. This time is going to be harder i think!

I really think it depends on the baby!

I didn't want to give LO a dummy, but it's the only way he'll go off to sleep during the day or at night. I gave in and gave him one after having to spend an entire pub lunch with my little finger in his mouth (whilst trying to eat a burger and chips one handed!) to stop him from screaming all the way through the meal!
I'm not looking forward to weaning him off his dummy, but at the moment I'm just happy it gets him off to sleep!

Just want to say I'm 25 and still a thumb sucker. A recent survey shows 1 in 10 adults do it. So I'm not alone. :)

I don't intend on giving my LO a dummy, but will have some just in case I change my mind.xx

TBH I just always assumed I would give my LO one as everyone in my family used one.
My cousin had a dummy but still sucks her thumb, at the age of 36.
A girl I work with, her grandson was brought to a speech therapist as didnt say anything except mama and dada, and they said it was because he had the dummy in his mouth all day everyday.
I honestly think baby will decide what they want :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back