Dummies and breastfeeding

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Does anyone who breastfeeds use a dummy?

I'm only thinking of using one as Isla sucks her hands viciously to get herself to sleep but I've read that it can lead to babies not breastfeeding for as long as they get used to sucking a teat.

Owen has one to get off to sleep since about 3 weeks. It's no prob and soothes him so much. He doesn't wake for it to be replaced or anything like that. Always said I'd niver use one but it helped him so much from early on. Never affected his bfing. :)

Alex has had one since 2 weeks and I use bottle as well but he always goes back to breast :)

i have decided if i need to use a dummy i am going to, and im breastfeeding. at the moment i have a very content baby that eats and sleeps all the time, but im sure as she gets bigger she wont be so easy. so dummies may come in handy :) x

Layla uses a dummy for comfort and a way of us stopping her from the old hand sucking etc! Some babies just like to suck apparently so thats why we gave her one otherwise I would NEVER have a break! I also feed her expressed milk in a bottle and have no problem at all with her going back on the breast.

Added problem we have is that she has already started teething - at 6 weeks!!! So keep an eye out and make sure those hand sucks are "sucks" and not "chews". Hope that helps? xx

Layla uses a dummy for comfort and a way of us stopping her from the old hand sucking etc! Some babies just like to suck apparently so thats why we gave her one otherwise I would NEVER have a break! I also feed her expressed milk in a bottle and have no problem at all with her going back on the breast.

Added problem we have is that she has already started teething - at 6 weeks!!! So keep an eye out and make sure those hand sucks are "sucks" and not "chews". Hope that helps? xx

we thought alex was teething and my mum said too early and he is 8 weeks so glad I saw ur post!! think he is sucking fists tho rather than chewing so dont think he actually is

I tried a dummy but Lizzie would cry every time it fell out and it was getting too much of a hassle lol! At least she can always find her hands :)

Don't think it's teeth yet - crikey!

Isla also has an expressed bottle every day and has no problem going back on the breast so maybe she'd be ok with a dummy. Might try it - there's always the chance that she won't want to know anyway!

Campbell had breast, bottle and dummy all at the same time! He never got confused and fed well stil xx

Evelyn wouldn't take a dummy at all. I tried but as it wasn't a massive mouthful of breast she wasn't interested!
She uses me for comfort most of the time but we're slowly getting out of that habit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back