Dr Brown bottles. Help needed

littleem

Reaction score
Well i finally went out yesterday and bought some dr brown bottles because everyone has recommended them, but i am confused,

1) on the instructions it says do not shake to mix formula, how are you supposed to mix it?

2) the tube in the middle, is it supposed to have milk in it? and exactly how does this stop wind??

3) Is it supposed to take so long to feed your baby, i am using the teats which it comes with, but it is taking forvever to feed, my lo has gaviscon mixed in with her feeds, and i'm not sure if shes actually getting much milk, not sure what to do??

Please help

littleem said:
Well i finally went out yesterday and bought some dr brown bottles because everyone has recommended them, but i am confused,

1) on the instructions it says do not shake to mix formula, how are you supposed to mix it?

2) the tube in the middle, is it supposed to have milk in it? and exactly how does this stop wind??

3) Is it supposed to take so long to feed your baby, i am using the teats which it comes with, but it is taking forvever to feed, my lo has gaviscon mixed in with her feeds, and i'm not sure if shes actually getting much milk, not sure what to do??

Please help

1. We swirl it, kind of... The comfort milk we use is thicker, so to be honest, I do shake it a bit, just try to make sure I don't create any air bubbles in the milk as that is why it says not to shake it.

2. It some how stops a vacuum being created by letting air in as your baby sucks I think. No it isn't supposed to have milk in it. Its just for allowing air to pass in or out of bottle (which ever it does?!)

3. We have a similar problem, as the Comfort milk is thicker too. We have bought the Y teats as these are for thicker liquids. I could only get them online though. http://www.breastpumps.co.uk/acatalog/D ... Teats.html So far so good. She drinks the milk much quicker now (albeit with it all spurting all over her, but she is a lazy feeder and doesn't swallow as often as she should!!)

Hope this helps & the bottles do your LO some good

:hug:

What am i doing wrong then if milk is in the tube??
I was thinking of buying the bigger teats, level two but they say 3months plus and my lo is only 5 weeks so dont know what to do

laracomps said:
littleem said:

Please help

1. We swirl it, kind of... The comfort milk we use is thicker, so to be honest, I do shake it a bit, just try to make sure I don't create any air bubbles in the milk as that is why it says not to shake it.

2. It some how stops a vacuum being created by letting air in as your baby sucks I think. No it isn't supposed to have milk in it. Its just for allowing air to pass in or out of bottle (which ever it does?!)

3. We have a similar problem, as the Comfort milk is thicker too. We have bought the Y teats as these are for thicker liquids. I could only get them online though. http://www.breastpumps.co.uk/acatalog/D ... Teats.html So far so good. She drinks the milk much quicker now (albeit with it all spurting all over her, but she is a lazy feeder and doesn't swallow as often as she should!!)

Hope this helps & the bottles do your LO some good

:hug:

I agree with everything Lara's said except...

1) We used the plastic spoon from the formula to mix it. We just stirred it quickly for a while to mix it all up without creating the bubbles you get when you shake.

2) If you are heating the milk in the microwave (?) then you MUST unscrew the white collar and teat first otherwise the inner tube will fill up.

3) We used Gaviscon with Tom when he was little and always used a number 2 teat for those feeds. They are fine to use on under 3 months.

Good luck!
Lucyx

i use a knife to mix the powder

the air from sucking on the teat (when feeding - bottle tilted up) travels down the inner funnel and out at the end ON TOP of the milk, instead of going INTO the milk.

we use level 2 teats now :)

weve used these since 3 week old and shes never had stomach ache/colic etc

littleem said:
What am i doing wrong then if milk is in the tube??
I was thinking of buying the bigger teats, level two but they say 3months plus and my lo is only 5 weeks so dont know what to do

the funnel does fill up with milk by the heat, but when u tilt bottle up to feed baby, the milk goes back into the bottle

i couldnt use dr browns with gaviscon but i didnt bother getting the next size teat either

if your using gavsicon u should have been told u need bigger teats with what ever bottles , lelands been on size 2 or variflow since he started it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back