Downside to Early Scans

Ms Perkins

Reaction score
Just had my MW appointment (now just over 5 weeks). I asked when they would scan me taking into account my m/c at 6 weeks in July of this year and my chemical pregnancy just last month.

She said if I started having pains or bleeding to go straight to the EPU and they would scan me, but that the NHS would not scan me until 10 weeks (usual dating scan).

She then went on to say that sometimes having a "reassurance" scan at 6-8 weeks could be a bad thing - ie see a heartbeat, then lose the baby anyway.

I've got a private dating scan booked for 6th January (I'll be just over 8 weeks). didn't mention this to the MW once she had said the above!

Surely if I see a heartbeat at 8 weeks the odds of mc drop don't they? I know nothing is ever a guarantee with pregnancy.....

Hi!

I'm not an expert but didn't want to leave without saying something.

I know the odds of miscarrying are said to decrease dramatically once you've established a heartbeat (I'm not sure of the exact percentages sorry). To be honest, it will give you some reassurance I'm sure and that can only be helpful - you don't want to be stressing all the time. But I think if they DONT see a heartbeat that could well jsut mean that the pregnancy isn't as far along as first thought.

I hope it goes well for you!

There are definitely pros and cons to the early scans (something myself and my husband are discussing at the moment) but it's what's right for you at the end of the day hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back