Down about work

Dotty_woman

Reaction score
Really struggling to keep up enthusiasm for work. I work in I.T. and we're iust
starting big project that I was supposed to be working on when I will be going on maternity leave.

My boss (male) has been quite supportive but his boss hasn't even said "Congratulations" and he only sits about 8ft away from me. There is malaise in the team as they are recruiting for a few new staff for regular and senior positions but don't seem interested in promoting staff within the team and would rather go externally and this is peeing everyone off.

One of my colleagues was ill last week when we were short staffed and I had to inform my boss's boss and he basically accused my colleague of feigning illness. I said to him, "Well if someone's I'll, they're ill" and he said to me I wasn't in a position to judge. I responded by saying he wasn't either. I was so angry because this person had been struggling all week. There's nothing worse than people coming into work sick and making everyone else ill! I picked up flu a couple of months ago and was really poorly. Not being able to take meds took it longer to clear up. I didn't even tell work when I was having medical management for my miscarriage because I didn't want them to know I was trying for a baby in case they gave me even less chance to progress myself. I just told them I needed to go into hospital for a "procedure".

I just feel like a spare part in this team and my confidence is rock bottom. I can't wait to go on maternity leave but am worried about what've happening when I get back. I'm scared about asking for slightly less hours (4 days instead of 5) so have joined what is effectively the work union so at least I might get some support. I really don't want to go to work today. :( xxx

Sorry to hear your down with work hun. There's nothing worse than feeling like this!

When do you start mat leave? Your Boss's boss sounds very unsupportive in regards to saying someone isn't ill when they are. I hate people like that. Hence why bugs as virus's are on the up every winter because people feel ashamed to take time off and come into work and spread it round!!! Grrrrrrr.

I would mention to your boss about doing 4 day week. However at my company if I did that my maternity leave means It would go by That salary and not what I'm on now does that makes sense???

Hope you sort it out hun xxxx

So sorry Dotty as we all spend so much time at work I think its important to be happy! I cant really offer any advice but just think you'll be off on mat leave before you know it!! Is it a small company you work for (they seem quite small minded in attitudes which I havent come across in working for large companies) Could you maybe look for something new when your on mat leave?

Jodie - I know what you mean on the 4 day week thing. Id love to go back part time but if we decided to have a second then my mat leave would be on part time wages x

Thanks ladies. I just never got the chance to work less hours with my previous 2 children and this is my last chance to enjoy my time with a new baby. I do actually work for quite a big company although it might not sound like it. I think I would struggle to get a part time job doing what I do at another company so think staying put is my only real option until bubs goes to school. xxx

I really don't know what to suggest, I work in probably the least formal setting there is so cant identify with the pressure yiure getting. Id be fuming with your bosses boss too, he sounds like a right tw*t.
It cant hurt to have a browse at the job market while youre on mat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back