• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dogs and newborns

Izzy

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old rescue dog, who we've had for 7 years. He's a good boy but not very experienced with young children.

I'm finding it a bit tricky to get him used to Finlay. I have to hold him constantly because Jack (my dog) allows tries to lick him. When Finlay makes any kind of noise, Jack has to jump up and lick him! When hes in his pram gurgling or something, Jack will put his paws up on the pram and try and reach the baby with his tongue!!

Hoping someone can offer some advice so Jack isnt so interested in the baby? Its a bit tiring constantly having to be on guard!

Izzyx

the only advice i can give is to put Jack i the garden. I wouldn't be able to cope watching a dog lick its bum and testicles then come licking my babies face :puke: :puke: :puke:

i dunno hun Gen our dog could never reach B could u put a stair gate up in a room so the dog couldnt get to Finlay??

I have a dog too and have to aware of this though mine is used to babies. Dogs greet each other by licking on the mouth so your dog thinks this is natural. I have a German Shepherd so got some breed specific advice but you could find one of the many dog behaviour forums and ask advice there.

Aww I hope you can train him not to do it. Bless he obviously wants to comfort Finlay the way he knows how!

One of my dogs was very interested in Ella, I don't know how I would've coped if she was a big dog as she was forever leaping onto the sofa when I was holding her etc. After a few weeks both of my doggies got used to having Ella around and stopped being so interested :)

Yes actually I would add that when my dog first saw a baby she was so interested but now she finds them quite boring, much prefers a toddler that she can follow around :lol:

thanks guys

hes actually paid him less attention this weekend so fingers crossed he'll soon lose interest and stop with the licking!

izzyx

budge said:
I wouldn't be able to cope watching a dog lick its bum and testicles then come licking my babies face :puke: :puke: :puke:

I don't just watch and he hasn't licked Finlay's face once :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back