Does your baby Gag on lumpy/mashed foods?

haych86

Reaction score
Alfie is 7 months and has taken puree since 4 months at the end of 6 months we tried him with mashed lumpy foods but he just gags but his puree is getting to the point where he gulps it down, I have slowly thickened it but he just will not take lumps except for spaghetti bolanaise he will eat the pasta chopped up in a thicker puree.

Anyone else been through this?

Can't advice Im afraid Hun, i've been very lucky and Tegan went to lumps fine But we also do mostly blw so think that has helped, does he eat any finger foods? x

I was gonna suggest maybe introducing finger foods. Charley sometimes gags on purred foods but normally when he's eating it to quick

he eats some finger foods fine, but then occasionally he will also gag on that if he gets a big chunk, We have offered finger foods since he was 5 months. Its just his spoon feed things that he gags and projectile vomits pretty much everything I have tried!

Ella used to gag but recently she is much better. Finger foods are the way to go I found as she controls how much goes in. Keep persevering hun and he will get it eventually x

yep i found he's been gagging ,ore recently as he's got a cold/ cough so have gone back to purees for the moment!!

Hayley, why do you copy my life so much?!?!
Everything you wrote, that's Shaun. The boy will NOT eat lumps!

Oscar does this even on purees sometimes. It's totally normal hun and nothing to worry about. Just the gag reflex is at the back of the mouth rather than in the throat like an adults. It's to stop them swallowing something too big and it getting stuck in their throat, so instead they gag and it brings it back to the front of the mouth and they chew some more and try again!!

Even though I knew that it still scared me to death when we tried BLW so I stopped and went back to purees lol

xxxxx

hey hun, marley is 9months as is only now eating the stage 2 jars and mashed homemade foods withough gaging. more often than not he would spit half of it out and basically not eat it. like you, i did purees with baby pasta and he'd eat that no probs. hes starting to get good at finger foods now too, so im going to give him more "adult" food so to speak rather than jars etc. dont worry he will get there. i was quite disheartened but now (after 2months) he's finally grasped it and you can see him chewing & swallowing. theres jars from 10months which i can try in a month... god knows how he will cope with them lol!!! my mum said i was terrible and was spitting lumps out even at the age of 1!!!

ps... if you check out the "what did your lo eat today" thread, you will get some good food ideas, i deffo have! plus it will give u an insight as to what the other babies are eating xoxo

Hayley, why do you copy my life so much?!?!
Everything you wrote, that's Shaun. The boy will NOT eat lumps!

LOL Lois I told you we are life twins. HAHA

Campbell gags on it. But it is normal. Babies have really strong gag reflexes and they can often bring food back into their mouths. Its how they learn to chew. Hence why you can use BLW. Campbell is pretty used to lumps now, if he gags he brings it back up and chews it a little more xxx

I think it comes with time and he will stop! Aiden was just the sane and still is with new stuff! Had spag Bol last night abs he dud it with first couple spoons but then stopped! But he used to do it all way through and with finger foods! But ice just kept trying and he doesn't do it so much now and starting to chew too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back