Does anyone give blood?

poppy160

Reaction score
I keep seeing the adverts on TV and realising I don't do enough to help :cry: My Mum used to until they said people who have had transfusions can't do it anymore.

So I'm going to find out when the next one is in my area and do it :) And maybe try and get OH to aswell.

Do any of you donate blood?

I don't but Its because I'm scared to, I'm not scared of needles but when my Step Dad used to I went with him one time and saw 2 people faint so its put me off.

i feel so selfish not for not giving blood :-(
but i'm terrified of needles i nearly pass out when i have
a blood test! i know thats not a good reason but i honestly feel
sick and faint at the thought of needles and blood coming out of my body!

Yeah I'm worried about passing out and stuff, but not worried enough for it to put me off. I don't think it's selfish not to donate, it's quite a big thing really in my opinion.

I used to give blood and will be doing so again but i have to wait 6months as i've just had a piercing done :)

I used to give blood but when i broke my back and needed a blood transfusing i had to stop it was something to do with the year i had the transfusing that i had to stop giving, if you eat a meal and drink something before going you shouldnt faint, i was really proud that i give blood because the thing is your helping people that really need it and mayb the time comes one day like me and that is you may need a tranfusing yourself and just think if no one give blood then they wouldnt beable to help you out.

I'm not allowed to because of the drugs I take for my asthma.

I think you have to wait until your baby is 9 months old before you can give blood :think:

xxx

I heard baby has to be 9 months too. I've had my heart set on it as my nephew was a prem baby and needed a blood transfusion! I wanna do my bit, which is why i'm doing the milk donor too.

I gave blood from when I turned 17 to when I had my tattoo at 19, then had to wait 12 months. I gave again twice I think, then got pregnant, and by the time I could give again I was TTC so didn't want to risk it. I'll definitely start again when I can. It really does make a difference.

I'm on the bone marrow donor list too, though obviously if I was ever called on I'd have to think carefully about the risks. Now I've got kids they come first so if it's risky I wouldn't do it.

My hubby does on a regular basis. He is a rarer blood type also, so it good he does as they never have much of his type it seems.

I should do so at some point. I don't mind needles, I've just never gotten round to it.

Me and OH do as often as we are allowed, I have been since i was 17 and there is really nothing to be scared of, you get a nice lie down and a free cuppa for your trouble and its also nice to have your blood checked regularly, my sis was recently treated for quite bad anaemia that she wouldnt have known about if she hadnt tried to give blood.
Give it a try, if you hate it you dont have to do it again but at least you had a go! :D

i give blood have done for years, havent done for ages as couldnt give for 9 months after m/c and yes it is 9 months after having a baby aswell, once i can i will be giving again,
xx

have given blood since i was 18 :D except when ive been pg or had body piercings or tattoos and had to wait a time limit and will certainly give blood again when i am allowed to :D
i have something special about my blood not sure what and i have been called to give blood special for someone who was having an operation but nobody that day could tell me why it was special :think: xxxxxxx

I do, I've given 17 pints and got a special badge! I am on the bone marrow register too.

Valentine Xxx

Cool, thanks for all your replies. I'm going to sign up to do it in 5 months time then. There's nothing special about my blood, but every little helps!! :D

I would love to give blood but cant due to the medication im on. I have had two blood transfusions due to my crohns disease and if it wasnt for the kind people that give blood i may not be here today.

Keep up the good work people. You could be saving someones life!! :clap:

Claire x

Yep, I do - well before I was pg. I've got a little badge and certificate too for over 10 donations. I am on the bone marrow register too x

Not allowed to :(

British people in Canada can't give blood.

I would but because ive had a blood transfusion not that long ago you have to wait so many years before you can give blood, i don't know why.

I gave blood regularly up until i had babies.. Im due to go next week first time again in 6 yrs.. Ive given 6 lots fo far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back