Does a sweep hurt?

lmarszall

Reaction score
And more importantly does it work?

The hospital said to me when i saw the idiot consultant the other week that they would induce on the 21st but the midwife would probably do a sweep on the 16th.

Well i have my routine midwife apt tomorrow and so was thinking she may do it then. Allthough i will probably have to ask as the communication between hospital and midwife is crap!

So anyone who has one, is it awful and what actually happens. So far i have got away without anyone interfering down there so i am a bit nervous about it all!

Laura
5 days overdue
xxxxxxxxxx

just read about it... and it does sound painfull :shock: but do you know what i don't care really.. it's better then being pregnant and want to see LO

but do you think they'll give me.. i'll only be two days going into three days over due??

no it doesnt hurt its just really uncomfortable and very undignified!. i had one at 40+4.
basically the midwife puts her fingers up you foo foo and makes a sort of circle shape around the babies head. this loosens the membrane and releases hormones that set off labour. i think its supposed to take up to 48hours to work.
you will be told if your cervix if favourable(ready for labour) or unfavourable (not ready).
I got mine at 1.30pm on the thursay and started getting quite strong contactioons by about 8pm the same night, then had evie at 4.20am on the friday morning.
hope this helps hun and good luck with it, maybe you wont need it, fingers crossed :hug: :D

yeh so it does work.. i hope they g8ive me one then :pray:

lol,

Just interesting to know everyone's opinions on it.

I'll give anything a go. Like neeko said had enough of being pregnant and dont want to be sat here till the 21st and have to be induced!

Lau
x

I had one and it wasn't painfull,it worked a treat as i was favourable at 40+5 and 1cm dilated with hiddley piddley contractions already, baba was born approx 3hrs later :D

I had one at 40+11
It was a little embarassing, but I barely felt it and it worked (thank god!)

I had one with Nathan and it was similer to a smear test I think. It worked for me and he was born 48 hours later. I must say it was much better than getting induced.

Mine didn't hurt, and neither did it work. I had to be induced a week later in the end with my first!!!

Just unconfortable didnt hurt...

did the trick tho, brought contractionson thick and fast :l

They are really undignified! but if they work then im all for it. Hey, this may sound dodgy but i wonder if you could get your OH to do it and tell him its foreplay? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I had one with my son at 41+2 and it didn't really hurt at all, just a little miffed having a woman with her fingers you know where but it worked a treat for me within 48 hours my son was born :cheer: (2 years ago tomorrow :cheer: )

Go for it fingers crossed it works for you too :hug:

goodluck hope i dont want that tehn dont want the ladies fingers u know where lol sounds abit odd :roll:

Hi Lau,

Good luck for your sweep tomorrow. I really hope it works for you.

As you know, I had mine at 40+5, and although it really did give me contractions, they all disappeared within 12 hours, and I'm still here 2 days later.

As with all these things, it will only work if you are ready any way. I hope you are.

It's not painful, just a bit uncomfortable really, especially if she has short fingers and has to push really hard (like mine did!!).

Heather x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back