Divorce advice?

Krystal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently divorcing my husband (not Jack's dad BTW) Split up with him a few years ago.

Anyway we got the documents from his solicitor and they he was divorcing me on grounds of unreasonable behaviour :oops: They said in their letter as long as I didn't dispute the reasons my Ex would pay his own costs. Now I signed and sent that letter back they have filed it with the courts so am waiting for documents to come through.

The problem is they sent a letter to my solicitor saying 'we have filed divorce documents but cannot confirm our clients wishes with regards to costs' :shock:

Can they do this? Get me to agree on the understanding that he will pay costs then change their mind?

I spoke to my solicitor who said it's bizzare and to contact her when I get court documents and I will go down and discuss it further with her but in meantime wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks for reading :hug:

Hi hun

I'm no expert, I'm just going through my own divorce. Here in Switzerland they got rid of the need for one person to divorce the other, you can just get divorced 'by mutual consent' now. Our lawyer told us it was the same in the UK these days?

Anyway, why should you have to pay his costs? That sounds really odd. I'd fight that one all the way. Sounds like a bit of a p*ss take to me......

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks for your reply hun. I will just have to wait to hear from the courts I think.

Sorry to hear your going through a divorce too. I like to think of it as a fresh start though ey :hug:

I divorced my ex on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and irreconsilable (sp?) differences and we both paid our own costs :think:

I THINK (dont quote me) you have to pay charges if you earn much more money that the other party and i think if the divorce is your fault (grounds of ...bla.bla...) if you know what i mean?? x

MissGobby said:
I THINK (dont quote me) you have to pay charges if you earn much more money that the other party and i think if the divorce is your fault (grounds of ...bla.bla...) if you know what i mean?? x

This is what I thought too but I'm no expert. I thought that whoever had done something wrong footed the costs.. :oops: :?

leckershell said:
MissGobby said:

This is what I thought too but I'm no expert. I thought that whoever had done something wrong footed the costs.. :oops: :?

Nope nothing to do with it. The grounds you divorce on mean nothing nowadays either. Its the petitioner who usually pays the costs not the respondent so there shouldnt be ANY cost to you whatsoever so long as you don't dispute it and there is no issue with property or children outstanding.

Thanks for that... hopefully i'll get court documents soon and speak to my solicitor first. She's pretty determined he's not getting anything anyway so :pray: Will update though :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back