Disappointed!

Ali K

Reaction score
I went for an appointment at the Obstetrician's yesterday and after they took my blood pressure they told me I'm going to have to go on Beta-blockers for my blood pressure! I don't know if this is an Amercian thing (you know, handing out medication left, right and centre) but i don't like the idea of having to take tablets!

I was really disappointed, I thought I was doing really well, not gaining a huge amount of weight, excercising every day, eating lots of fruit and a low sodium diet....I feel like I've failed! My Mum has high blood pressure and I have suffered in the past so I knew I was more at risk, plus I am 35! They said it didn't look like pre-eclampsia, just hereditary high blood pressure.

And to top it all, she told me the side effects are constipation and headaches! Another few things to add to the aches and pains! yey!

I've seen a few of you with high blood pressure writing on here, did your Doc's put you on tablets and did they tell you how the BP might effect the delivery?

Sorry to hear you are feeling low about this Ali, you have in no way failed, it is just one of thise things, and if its hereditary then there is nothing more you could have done :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think in the UK they monitor you very closely if you get a rise in high blood pressure (someone who's experienced this can prob be more accurate). They keep a look out for swelling/ dizzy spells which may indicate pre-eclampsia....not sure whether they put women on meds but someone else will be able to answer that.

Wishing you all the best :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have high BP have had it since I was about 21...I have been on beta blockers for a long time and then was borderline for treatment for a long time.

my BP went really high when I was in tri 1 and put on beta blockers ( atenolol )but taken off them when i was dehydrated as BP was low then and consultant said the ones my GP had put my on could give low birth weight and has suggested which one I am to go on if my BP comes up again.

If you have done all the right things you haven't failed. the fact high BP is heriditary is bacuse it is something out of your control.

I don't think the meds will effect your delivery although they will keep a close eye on your BP through labour.

Hi

I donty know anything about this hun. But you have not failed there is nothing you could of done to prevent it. :hug:
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back