Dilemma - LO to stay out or not?

jennifer1981

Reaction score
My LO is 8 weeks old and our friends (a couple we have known for years who have children themselves) have offered to mind him for through the night for us. Im in 2 minds what to do. OH is happy for them to have him as he says it will give us a chance to go for a nice meal and have a few drinks without having to worry about the night feeds. Although i am craving a bit of time to be 'me' and not 'mummy' for the night i dont know whether im ready for him to stay out yet with him being so young.

Our friends are so excited about him staying that they have gone and set a travel cot up and their kids have bought him some toys etc TBH i think they are broody again and are wanting to mind the baby as a reminder. They love him so much though and the baby is used to seeing them and is content when he is around them. They have taken him out a few times with their kids to squirral sanctury and blackpool etc and you know they are competant and confident with having him but never had him over night. They have said if he is distressed or anything they will ring us straight up and bring him home.

Ohhhhhhhhh I just dont know what to do? Would you let your LO stay out the night so young?

I let my mum and dad have Hayden when he was teeny i really can't remember how old he was tbh but either way its completely up to you. It sounds like your baby will be in great hands but you don't sound very comfortable with leaving him yet no matter how safe he will be. Remember you don't have to let your friends have him overnight even if they are excited so don't feel pressured, I say go with your instincts theres no point having a lovely night out if you don't feel relaxed and you keep thinking about baby all the time- the point is to have a relaxed night when you have an overnight sitter :hug:

Its hard the first (and even second third fourth etc) leaving a really little one for the night i seem to remember not relaxing comletely and only just about do now and my son is 2!! I was also worried i was a ababy bore coz he was all i talked about all night! lol! Anyway i say go with your heart on this one and maybe let them sit him for just a few hours while you go for a meal first and see how you feel.

TBH no I'd not let my LO go off to stay somewhere else overnight at that age. I had my mother here and she looked after Galen while we went out but he was in familiar surroundings and had things that smelt of me around etc. But it was not overnight.

Maybe its different formula feeding but breastfeeding meant I could not take that time away, nor would I have wanted to. He was just too young then. Even now I don't enjoy leaving him for too long. But I do go out for a few hours. I worry if he cries that he won't settle for someone else and I'd rather just be home with him overnight, even if it means a disturbed night. I don't drink anyways so its no biggie for me to not have a drink. We just went out for a meal, cinema and came home. I was so desperate to get home and see my son after 6 hours away from him. I'd not have managed overnight. Plus I love being there every morning he wakes up. His smile when he firsts sees me in the morning makes my day. I'd nt pass up on that for a fair while yet.

End of the day its what you feel comfortable with.

I agree with Shelock, I still haven't left Ella over night. My mum also came and stayed here with her when she was tiny, but we were upstairs. Even for evenings out my parents or in-laws always have her here so she is in normal surroundings.

It is up to you really and you need to do what is in your heart, as Fran says you won't enjoy yourself anyway if you are not comfortable with leaving LO. Could you just leave him for the evening so that you can go out together and then collect him at the end of the night?

I'd say only so it if you are comfortable with it. If not dont worry there is plenty of time to go out when LO is a little older.

I havent yet been away from Calleigh, cant leave her for too long as she is breastfed and wont take a bottle. Last year i bought tickets to go see Lee Evans in Oct but it looks like i wont be going now as i cant leave her due to having to feed her, something i did not consider back then :roll:

I left Corey with my mum for the weekend when he was 3months old. Granted this was made easyer by the fact that since the second he dropped from my foo foo he screamed and cried, so I needed to get away from him sometimes!

Anywho, she loved it, he loved it... I had a great weekend away at the largest modified car show of the year with all my friends and OH, not being mummy. It was great. Mums away on holiday at the moment, and when she gets back im going to see what night is best for her to have him next, just so I can get some sleep really!!

Sounds like your friends are compitent, if I were you, id feel fine leaving him BUT everyone is different... and you gotta do what you are happy with, just because some people dont/wont, dont feel bad if you would... :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back